FACULTYTALK Archives

August 2000

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Hertel, John, Prof, DFL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 08:11:57 -0600
Sally,

I must apologize for not introducing myself at the conference.  I teach BL
at the US Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs; and this was my first
conference.  Over the past several months, I emailed and called Dan and
several ALSB members on a variety of topics and everyone always
added..."Come to Baltimore."  I'm very glad I did.

I agree w/ all of your comments, especially the sense of energy and
enthusiasm.  This is important.  I'm one of the civilian profs in the Law
Department here (we have a Legal Studies major); but we have about 15
members of our Dept. faculty who are active duty lawyers (JAGs) who teach
here for only 2-4 years.  They are the best of the best, but they lack the
sense of community among other "lawyers" teaching "undergraduate" students.
ALSB has that sense of community ("home," I think you said in one of your
comments).  I hope to bring some of them to next year's conference, to get
this feeling, and the terrific presentations on teaching, even if they are
not interested in business law as a subject matter.  There just isn't
another organization (ASA, AALS, AAHE, etc) that has that.

Thank you; it was a great time
John
p.s. As an Annapolis grad, it was also fun to "return home."