FACULTYTALK Archives

September 2001

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
DANIEL HERRON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 10:47:00 -0400
One of the goals of the ALSB, from a technological perspective, has been to set up, on the website, a syllabus bank and a test bank....the issue has been to ensure that it was password protected...however, I have been remiss in getting this idea off the ground (though we've floated the idea around for several years----I'm pathetically mixing metaphors here).

Maybe the best approach would be this....would someone be willing to take proprietary control of this, set up a simple webpage with this info for testbanks and syllabi, and then I can link it to the ALSB webpage.

Dan

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/26/01 10:32AM >>>
I have done the same thing my entire career.  I make up exams or give
writing assignments.
I agree that using cases does not work very well.  You point out the
reason
why they do not work.   Sometimes I am not "creative" enough to make up
my
own exams, other times I have no problems, but having a way to exchange
the
exams and/or writing assignments might help.  Since we would be sharing
exams, perhaps we could call it "Examster".
I do have about two years worth of exams and writing assignments on my
computer, so I could share those.
In addition, I would like to have feedback on how well the students
performed on the exams that are given because that might help identify
the
areas that students usually don't understand.

At 10:14 AM 9/26/2001 -0400, you wrote:

>For my business law classes I like to give a comprehensive writing
>assignment involving the spotting and solving of various legal issues
that
>we have discussed over the entire term.  In the past I have drafted
>fictitious comprehensive problems (reminiscent of past law school exams
-
>ah the memories) or have asked students to consider the various legal
>issues pertaining to particular entrepreneurial endeavors.  I don't
find
>comprehensive problems in the texts, and actual cases often are too
>narrowly focused for a comprehensive review.  I wonder what others
might
>do for a comprehensive writing problem.  I also wonder if there might
be
>any interest in putting together a comprehensive problem bank
accessible
>to all of us.  Thanks for any thoughts you might have!
>
>Dexter Woods, J.D., LL.M., C.P.A.
>Professor of Law and Taxation
>College of Business Administration
>Ohio Northern University