FACULTYTALK Archives

February 2001

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
DANIEL HERRON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 19:08:02 -0500
I am out of the office due to a medical problem and won't be officially back in the office until Tuesday March 20.  However, I will be checking email messages somewhat periodically.  Please be advised, though, that my ability to respond to requests may be limited and I'll only be checking my email periodically (once or twice a week).  But, I'll be as diligent as I can with my responses.  I will NOT be responding to email at all between Jan 22-23 and Feb 5; but I'll try to start getting caught up after that.  If it is crucial that you contact me (and it really should be crucial), you may fax me at home at 513-523-8180.  I apologize for the inconvenience.
Thanks,
Dan Herron
Associate Professor, Miami University
Executive Secretary, Academy of Legal Studies in Business

>>> "[log in to unmask]" 02/07/01 19:07 >>>

I've had a few people tell me they're having trouble pulling up the call for
proposals for the Master Teacher Competition.  So here's the whole call for
proposals.  I hope you find it to be intriguing, and would love to see lots
of submissions.

Carolyn

2001 MASTER TEACHER COMPETITION
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
CREATING A CLIMATE FOR LEARNING

In a time of rapid business and technological changes, one of the goals of
higher education is to equip students to continue to learn even when the
classroom experience is done.  We hope for our students that their education
has a shelf-life beyond the years they are enrolled in our courses, and that
we can give students the tools they need to learn for themselves.  One of
our tasks is to use the classroom to create a climate for learning that
lasts beyond the classroom and the class time.  We enable students, over
time, to be curious about the world and the changes around them, and to
become their own teachers.

We invite you to enter the 2001 Master Teacher Competition, Creating a
Climate for Learning.  We will select four master teachers to make a
presentation at the annual meeting in August, 2001, with one of those four
being chosen as the Charles M. Hewitt Award winner.  This year's competition
is aimed at exploring projects, assignments, and classroom activities that
emphasize the techniques, skills, and methods that create the interest and
abilities for students to learn for themselves well into the future.

Process.  Any ALSB member who is not a previous winner of this competition
is welcome to enter by submitting a proposal, described below.  The 2000
Hewitt Award winner, Carolyn Hotchkiss, will chair a blind, peer-reviewed
panel of distinguished professors to evaluate the proposals and select four
Master Teachers.  The panel will choose the four proposals that most
effectively demonstrate effective Blue Prints for student success.  All four
selected will receive ALSB acknowledgement during the 2001 ALSB conference.
The four Master Teachers will present their ideas at the 2001 symposium, and
a (second) blind panel of judges will choose one to receive the Charles M.
Hewitt Award for teaching excellence.

Proposals. Your proposal should be no more than 1,500 words and include:

1.      A description and discussion of the projects, activities, or methods you
use to create a climate for learning and how those projects, activities, or
methods relate to your legal environment/business law course content and
objectives.  Include information on feedback and assessment as well as the
design and execution of the projects, activities, or methods.

2.      Presentation.  Briefly describe how you would use 40 minutes to
demonstrate the effectiveness of your approach to creating a climate for
learning, and prepare us to adopt activities and feedback techniques.

3.      Qualifications.  Summarize your accomplishments as a teacher, including
awards and other indicia of quality.

4.      Handouts.  At the symposium, we will distribute copies of the proposal
and any syllabi, assignments, quizzes, and tests that you supply.  Include
these with your proposal.  The handouts do not count in the 1,500-word
limit. Please limit them to a reasonable length.

Presentation:   If you are selected as one of the four Master Teachers, you
will have about 40 minutes to present your proposal and how the projects,
activities, or methods are structured to create a climate for learning.
You should include in your handouts materials that you think will be useful
to the audience in adapting your proposal for their classrooms. The Charles
M. Hewitt Master Teacher Award will be awarded at the Banquet of the Annual
Meeting, based on the proposal and the presentation.

Proposals must be received by March 1, 2001.  Please submit four copies of
the proposal by mail.  No proposals will be accepted by fax or e-mail.
Three copies of the proposal must have no information that identifies you or
your school.  The fourth copy should include a cover sheet with your name,
address, phone and e-mail.  Submit the four copies to:

Professor Carolyn Hotchkiss
Luksic Hall
Babson College
Babson Park, MA  02457

If you have questions or comments, you are welcome to address them to
Carolyn Hotchkiss at the above address or by telephone (781(239-5528 or
e-mail: [log in to unmask]