FACULTYTALK Archives

March 2007

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Anne Maureen Scarff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2007 14:07:48 +1100
I think the evolutionary change is also in the higher education institutions and how the society views them. In my country government authorities have taken to calling students our "customers,"  which is rather different from the traditional views and indeed from my view of the relationship.  We may well want our students to be educated but many of them just want to  buy the degree. Our government is monitoring success/pass/graduation  rates  as a mark of quality in the institution.  The pressure to provide notes, Powerpoints etc. often comes  from the institution itself. In one ( fee paying ) course I teach  all the material must be presented to the students in a very flash binder before the unit begins as this is seen by management as providing value for money. It seems to be all about  perceptions, packaging and presentation. No one seems overly concerned with the content.

Perhaps we need a discussion forum  at the next ALSB conference on  "Quality fights back", or "How to get students to take responsibility for their own education." This should not take longer than a week the first time we do it!
Anne Maureen

Anne Maureen Scarff
School of Economics and Finance
University of Western Sydney
Locked Bag 1797
Penrith South DC
NSW 1797

""The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene of older people, and greatly assists in the circulation of their blood. "
Logan Pearsall Smith (1865 - 1946), Afterthoughts (1931) "Age and Death".