FACULTYTALK Archives

November 1997

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Michael OHara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 1997 21:26:15 -0600
Irony being what it is, one cannot be too picky in finding the silver
lining in clouds seeded with irony.  But, after our Dean's repeated
efforts to "manage the adjunct budget" we now face the prospect of far
fewer sections of (genuinely high quality) adjuncts coupled with the
prospect a far higher percentage of sections taught by those with "too
high" standards (i.e., the full time faculty).  Since law at UNOmaha is
for second semester juniors and seniors, we with the too high standards
will be acting as gate keepers in a reverse of the horses and the barn
door.  The very same Dean pursues "retention" and enrollment building.
What was that about left hands and right hands?  Could it be this is a
Machiavellian plot to enhance quality?

Looking forward to once again getting to know nearly all of the students
pursuing our BSBA.

I recommend to everyone the series of short pieces on defining great
teachers in the lastest issue of JLSE and related articles.  An excellent
issue.

Michael
=  Michael J. O'Hara, J.D., Ph.D.                [log in to unmask]  =
=  Finance, Banking, and Law Dept.,     Univ. Neb. at  Omaha  68182  =