FACULTYTALK Archives

October 1994

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Rick Coffinberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 1994 17:36:01 EST
Caryn is absolutely correct.  We must redefine our roles away from
being the all knowing experts to becoming learning managers/coaches.
If all we do is "teach" and by that we mean convey information, large
information technology companies will soon replace us with on-call
courses that are available anywhere, anytime, prepared by well-
recognized scholars from the best institutions and pitched in
multiple learning styles.  We will become as obsolete as the
dinosaurs.

We must move from a input oriented, professor centered delivery
system to a student centered system that focuses on the output of
measurable learning.  To be honest, I find this to be very unsettling
and yet exciting.  Look forward to hearing more on this issue.

Rick