FACULTYTALK Archives

February 2012

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Ingulli, Elaine" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Feb 2012 19:28:44 -0500
Thanks to everyone who responded to my green card question. In appreciation, I am sending you a copy of the role play I am using in class. It was inspired, in part, by the response I got to teaching the Mass same-sex marriage case, followed by a shortened version of the challenge to the Hazleton Pa anti-iilegal-immigrant ordinance. My students were incredibly tolerant of same-sex marriage. Indeed, they just didn't get why anyone would object (argued that it's no one's business who lives with who, there's little relationship between marriage and procreation, religion belongs in church, not the law.) At the same time, they were amazingly anti-immigrant: angry that a court would even hear a case by someone who "isn't in this country legally." I was frankly taken aback at the strength of their response, although I'm sure that anxiety about the economy/jobs etc. probably explains some or most of it. But it led me to want to tweak an old role-play to tap into that emotion.

My real goal is to have them experience ADR--so they have been assigned to read something about ADR in prep for this.
If anyone wants to use it, feel free.
Thanks.

 Elaine Ingulli
Professor of Business Law