FACULTYTALK Archives

November 2016

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Catharyn Baird <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Nov 2016 13:44:21 -0700
Hmmm...I may not understand the economic theory well enough, but I can look around and see...

~Persistent homelessness of those with mental challenges and no effective initiatives from government or private sources to ameliorate the problem in a meaningful way;

~Ongoing battles over minimum wage, where the taxpayers are subsidizing big business through the earned income tax rather than forcing businesses (think the Walmarts of life) to pay a living wage rather than having more and more of the profits going to those who need it the least;

~Ongoing reduction of health care, food, child care resources for the working poor among us, with minimum impact by private charity.

If the focus is always on "once you've got it government (or someone else) can't take it away from you by force, and we have no corresponding way for people to actually get the resources, then we will forever have the gap.

Or am I missing something (which is always a possibility)?

Catharyn

Catharyn Baird

Founder/CEO

720-599-3825 Direct Dial