FACULTYTALK Archives

November 1995

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Dennis M. Garvis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 11:02:29 -0500
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 09:14:15 -0500
From: Jeannette Oppedisano <[log in to unmask]>
To: Multiple recipients of list IABS-L <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: affirmative action

I'd just like to add some info to a couple of Tony's points:

For example, maybe a small privately held business like the Chinese
restaurant should be allowed to hire who they please without Government
intervening in their business.

Depending on the particular law and state, the threshold is 15 employees
and in some cases, 50.

Finally, I hope the academic community is not exacerbating this discourse
by allowing students to continue repeating the misleading, pejorative
rhetoric used by politicians to win the vote of the majority population.
I get the feeling that most of the classes where these discussions take
place are predominately white and the views of people of color are
probably not represented.

Unfortunately, I find that many of my colleagues do not understand the
kinds of distinctions you've made ("quotas" ve. "goals" for example) and
the very limited scope of the laws and, therefore, contribute to the
"misleading, pejorative rhetoric" and resent being corrected (as I've done
at some Academy meetings, I might add.)

I hope I didn't ramble on too much.

Not from my perspective.

Jeannette

Tony Wilbon
PhD Candidate, Management of Science, Technology, & Innovation
The George Washington University
Washington, D.C.