FACULTYTALK Archives

October 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mary Ann Donnelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 08:48:16 -0400
Hi all:
Harvard Law School opened its doors to women in 1950. I was in the 9th
class with womenand graduated in 1962. Granted there were only about 18
of us out of 550 men. Since I am 67, I have to assume that Harriet Miers
would have been able to attend because she is younger. 1962 was the year
that Wall Street law firms finally noticed that women were on the scene
and two of my classmates and I were hired by Wall Street law firms as
their first women. I went to Cleary Gottlieb, another to Sherman and
Sterling, and another to Carter, Legyard and Milburn. That is a tale in
itself.
I'm not sure that where one goes to school is necessarily that
significant but I wanted to set the record straigh about HLS.
Mary Ann

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/13/2005 10:42 PM >>>

Well, I am a fall chicken, Frank, for sure, and grateful for it.
I grew up in a little town in Oklahoma where only a few people went out
of state to college if they went to college at all. I recall no one
going to Harvard. One guy I recall went to Princeton for a year, but he
flunked out; another went to Princeton and then an Ivy law school and
became a distinguished securities lawyer. When my older sister went to
Stanford in the mid-1950s, it was perfectly remarkable -- nobody
remembered anybody doing that, especially a girl.
When I graduated from high school (St. Stephen's Episcopal School,
right in your backyard in Austin, Texas, and home of more than one
ALSBer), most of the Ivy League and countless high quality liberal arts
colleges were closed to women (and others like Smith, Wellesley, etc.
closed to men). The "elite" options for private coeducation were slim
pickings: Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, Vandy, Chicago, Penn. But not
Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Columbia, Amherst, Williams, Dartmouth, etc.
So to the extent that path dependency is a factor in educational and
career development, those paths were padlocked to women of my
generation. Within a few years, of course, they opened up. Harvard and
Yale men began to notice that they had daughters.
And, well, for that matter, Andover, Exeter, Lawrenceville, St. Paul's
and most other old and elite private schools -- including the one John
Roberts attended from which he went to Harvard -- were closed to young
women. This is not to say that good education was not available to young
women, only that many of the most prestigious schools were not available
to young women.
Law school was different. I applied only to UT Austin because we lived
on an AF base in San Antonio, and then when, to my surprise, I turned
out to be OK at going to law school, I transferred to Stanford. The
women-friendly nature of Stanford was not irrelevant in that decision.
Now it does not follow that because one was categorically excluded that
one might have been admitted had one not been excluded. Ms. Miers (and
I) might not have been admitted to Harvard College had it been a women's
college! But my point is that John Robert's education -- and other
traditional elite schools -- would not have been available to Harriet
Miers. The absence of those credentials in her record is of little
significance.
I think people forget how new equal educational opportunity for women
is.
Ginny

Frank Cross <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "Academy of Legal Studies in Business (ALSB) Talk"
10/13/2005 08:37 PM Please respond to "Academy of Legal Studies in
Business (ALSB) Talk"

cc

bcc

Subject

Re: Miers and Maureen Dowd

Ginny, were you really excluded from Harvard and Yale because of
gender?  My class had a fair number of women.  How old are you?