FACULTYTALK Archives

January 2007

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"James A. Bryant" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2007 13:58:48 -0600
I just started reading Gore's  book, "An Inconvient Truth." Has any one checked his claim that referred scientific journal articles all support the claim that human activity is at least partly responsible for climate change. If this point is true, it would indicate that there is reasonable scientific evidence of climate change for the issue to be taken seriously.

James A. B ryant

>>> Don Mayer <[log in to unmask]> 1/8/2007 8:23:37 AM >>>
Sorry to belabor this, but I think this is important:  thank you, Prof. Schein, wherever you are (affiliation?) for raising a skeptical note about the UCS, which ~does~ advertise itself as "the leading science-based nonprofit working for a healthy environment and a safer world. UCS combines independent scientific research and citizen action to develop innovative, practical solutions and to secure responsible changes in government policy, corporate practices, and consumer choices."

Thus, their credibility on an issue as crucial as global warming is worth a few more minutes of deliberation.

The bios of the people listed as doing the work for UCS on global warming are below. Looks to me like they know more than me, or you, or anyone (or two) who may have followed this discussion.  You are right: we don't know whether the illustrious UCS board does anything at all.  Transparency in funding would be a plus, too. Agreed!  BUT.......

1.    You don't tell us whom we can rely on for objective, non-political facts and findings.  Is your point that no one can be trusted? And where does that lead us?......Or do you trust ExxonMobil rather than the UCS?

2.    The original posting pointed out that ExxonMobil was using its money to inject doubt on the scientific consensus about adverse human-induced changes in the biosphere. UCS is not the first group to point this out.  Attacking the credibility of UCS does not elevate the science or "findings" of the Global Climate Coalition or any other front group that ExxonMobil is funding.  Yes, follow the money, which leads to....

3.    Why would you trust ExxonMobil's science, given their profit motive, and instead attack the UCS?  You practically state that it's just a political operation, but for whom, and for what interest or agenda?   There are some people who think that "environmentalists" are out to "wreck the economy" (for what  misanthropic reasons?). Are you one of them?

I suggested earlier that we take this discussion off the list-serve (you don't see others chiming in, eh?). Again, you can reply to me at [log in to unmask]  Or, you can have the "last word" by hitting reply (something we've all done inadvertently, sometimes more than once).  But, why be inadvertent?  The bios of the UCS global warming folks are below.

Don Mayer

Brenda Ekwurzel

Climate Scientist
Global Environment Program
Washington, DC
Brenda Ekwurzel works on the national climate program at the Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS). She is leading UCS's climate science education work aimed at strengthening support for strong federal climate legislation and sound U.S. climate policies.

Peter Frumhoff
Director of Science & Policy and Chief Scientist, Climate Campaign
Executive Program
Cambridge, MA
Peter Frumhoff is Director of Science & Policy and Chief Scientist, Climate Campaign, at UCS. A global change ecologist, he has published and lectured widely on topics that include climate change impacts, climate science and policy, tropical forest conservation and management, and biological diversity.

Amy Luers
California Climate Manager
Global Environment Program
Berkeley, CA
Amy Luers is an environmental scientist in the Global Environmental Program at the Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS). She manages UCS's California climate change impacts work.

California Climate Economist
Global Warming Program
Berkeley, CA
Dr. Christopher Busch is an expert in the economics of global warming and global warming solutions.

Steve Clemmer
Research Director
Clean Energy Program
Cambridge, MA
As Research Director in the Union of Concerned Scientists' Clean Energy Program, Steven Clemmer is an expert on renewable-energy project implementation at the state and federal levels.

Nancy Cole
Deputy Director
Global Environment Program
Cambridge, MA
Nancy Cole, Deputy Director of the Union of Concerned Scientists' Global Environment Program and a grassroots-organizing veteran, works with scientists across the country to bring the voice of the scientific community to bear on issues critical to the global environment.

Jeff Deyette
Analyst
Clean Energy Program
Cambridge, MA
Jeff Deyette is an Energy Analyst with expertise in renewable energy and resource and environmental management.

David Friedman
Research Director
Clean Vehicles Program
Washington, DC
Mr. Friedman is the author or co-author of more than 20 technical papers and reports on advances in conventional, fuel cell, and hybrid-electric vehicles, with an emphasis on clean and efficient technologies.

Peter Frumhoff
Director of Science & Policy and Chief Scientist, Climate Campaign
Executive Program
Cambridge, MA
Peter Frumhoff is Director of Science & Policy and Chief Scientist, Climate Campaign, at UCS. A global change ecologist, he has published and lectured widely on topics that include climate change impacts, climate science and policy, tropical forest conservation and management, and biological diversity.

Daniel Kalb
California Policy Coordinator
Clean Vehicles Program
Berkeley, CA
Dan Kalb, California Policy Coordinator for the Union of Concerned Scientists, is an expert on environmental issues in California.

Alan Nogee
Program Director
Clean Energy Program
Cambridge, MA
Alan Nogee is a widely respected authority on renewable energy and brings to UCS more than 20 years of experience as an energy analyst and advocate.

Lexi Shultz
Washington Representative
Executive Program
Washington, DC
Lexi Shultz is an expert on climate change policy.