FACULTYTALK Archives

November 1998

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"A. Robert Lamb" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 07:40:28 -0600
The University of the Incarnate Word has been using the ETS for purposes of assessment
for about three years. Up until the last exam I really liked it, BLAW having made the
best showing (1 or 2). This last time we dropped "big time". I didn't change so I'm
asking myself what happened.
The test itself is a requirement of our business 'capstone" course. While it is not
considered in course grading, a student can not complete the course without taking the
test. This assessment satisfies ACBSP: however, the obvious question is the one I'm
faced with, "What do I do now to get the scores in BLAW back up?"  They (ETS) do not
routinely allow the questions out, so from an evaluation point of view you don't know
which area of BLAW the students fell down in.
Some of the factors to be considered in student assessment using ETS. How long before
taking the ETS test did they have your course. I find that some students do a "file
delete" after finals. My belief is that if I can make the main points of the BLAW course
memorable for the students in some way, the ETS scores will go up. Sometimes it is no
more than a sales job, "This point will be important to you in your careers..."
As far as faculty attitude is concerned, it is a mixed bag. No one thinks it is the best
means of assessment, but absent any prescience it will do for now.
From a philosophical point of view, you really can't make an assessment until about 20
years after the student graduates. :o)

Bob Lamb  ...deep in the heart of Texas