FACULTYTALK Archives

October 1997

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kenneth Schneyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 13:39:47 -0500
Okay, try this:

Since the conference normally ends on Saturday, and since lots of us have
been staying over on Saturday night in order to get the cheaper air fare,
we wind up (as Sally said) paying for one night extra.

What if the conference went Wednesday-thru-Sunday, instead of
Tuesday-thru-Saturday?  We'd get the same number of days of meetings etc.,
but many of us would wind up paying for fewer nights in hotel rooms, while
simultaneously getting the better air fare.  That would lower costs
overall.

In the alternative, if we were willing to pay more as an organization for
the conference site, we might end up spending less in aggregate for total
costs.  I'm imagining a conference center close to several nearby hotels.
If one paid for the conference center, one could then choose comparatively
inexpensive hotels to stay in.  The overall cost would be lower, although
the cost to the ALSB (and therefore the registration fee) would be higher.
I realize, after Portland, that many people have a phobia about staying
anywhere except in the hotel where the conference is being held; but as
for me, I did exactly that for four years -- Portland, Charleston,
Colorado Springs, Dallas -- in order to save money, and had a grand time.

If we opt for my first suggestion, we might be able to set it up for
Providence in 2000 (since that contract isn't yet negotiated).  If we
adopt the latter suggestion, it'd probably alter our selection of
conference city, so we'd have to begin in 2001.

Talking a lot,

Ken Schneyer