FACULTYTALK Archives

April 1995

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Thomas W. Dunfee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 1995 14:48:19 -0400
ALSBers,

        The following is a summary of the various responses to the
question of what law coverage is provided for future CPAs.
        I have this in a nice table, but I couldn't upload it into our
e-mail system.  If you would like the table, send me a message and I'll
mail it to you.

                        Tom Dunfee

BUSINESS LAW COURSES OFFERED FOR THE CPA EXAM

Professor Laura Ginger
Indiana University, Bloomington
Required courses:
   -legal environment course
   -something about commercial law, concerning topics on CPA exam (jr or
sr year)
May add new 150-hour requirement, which may require adding courses
Leo C. Moersen, J.D., CPA
George Washington University
Required Courses:
   -1 business law course
   -a second business law course or a second tax course (majority choose
b-law course)
Peter Shedd
University of Georgia
Required courses:
   -Legal Environment
   -B-law course (contracts, property, agency)
   -B.Law course (commercial paper, secured transactions, bankruptcy,
business organizations)
     for those on the public accounting tract
Gamewell Gantt
Idaho State University
Required Courses:
   -Legal Environrment
Second, graduate level, B-law course offered for accounting students in
MBA program
Joan Kritzberg
Cal State, San Bernardino
Required Courses: 2 business law courses
   -Business Law, lower division (Contracts/UCC)
   -Legal Environment of Business, upper division
Used to have a separate b-law elective (third course) for accounting
majors which was essentially a CPA review, but since most of our CPA
candidates take a proprietary review course, we have dropped that and now
offer a professional responsibility elective, not taught by lawyers, which
is mostly ethics, not law
Laura Pincus
DePaul University, College of Commerce
Required courses:
   -Business Ethics
   -The Legal Environment of Business
   -Commercial Paper and Sales
Gary McNary
Creighton Universtiy
Required courses:
   -legal environment course
   -UCC/BUS Law course, to cover CPA exam questions
Kenneth Schneyer
Johnson & Wales
Required Courses:
   -Business Law for Accountants
Peter Ward
Else School of Management, Millsaps College
Required Courses:
   -one-half course Introduction to the Legal Environment
of Business that covers the Constitution, the legal system, the
common law (mostly torts), administrative law and international
law and environment. Plus, a junior level class on Management,
Operations, Marketing and Finance we insert legal modules devoted to
Antitrust, Product Liability, Labor
and Securities Law. (=one year of Legal Environment)
   -Business Law (senior year), Contracts, Sales, Negotiable Instruments
and Secured
Transactions
David Reitzel
Cal State, Fresno
Required Courses:
   -Business and the Legal Environment, (nature of law and the legal
system; business and the
constitution; civil procedure; overview of criminal law, tort law,
the law of contracts, the law of agency, and overviews of labor and
employment law and international business transactions.  BA18 is a
broad course with an in-depth, integrative focus on contract and
agency law.)
   -Either BA150 (property law, intro to UCC topics: sales, secured
transactions, commercial paper) or BA151 (partnership, corps, other bus.
org, sec. regulations and bankruptcy, and insurance law)
Ernie King
University of Southern Mississippi
Required Courses:
   -Legal Environment
   -CPA prep b-law course

Don Boren, Chair Dept. of Legal Studies
Bowling Green State University
Required Courses:
   -legal environment course
Commercial Law I & II offered, but not required; Commercial Law I may
take the place of legal environment course
Mary Ann Donnelly
Le Moyne College
Required Courses:
   -intro legal environment/commercial law course
   -Business Law for Accountants
   -Federal Income Tax course, taught by lawyer
Lucy Katz
Fairfield University
Required Courses:
   -legal environment course
John Gray
Loyola College
Required Courses: (undergrad)
   -legal environment course
   -commercial law course
Fran Hill
U. of Wisconsin - Whitewater
Required Courses:
   -B-law 1 (3 c.u)
   -B-law 2 (3 c.u. UCC stuff)
Jeff Gale
Loyola Marymount University
Required Courses:
   -legal environment: sophomore year class, with some UCC topics
Not required, but advised: 2nd b-law course dealing with CPA topics,
tradition business topics