FACULTYTALK Archives

September 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Fran Zollers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 14:55:32 -0400
Colleagues,

Are you having as much trouble as I am trying to get your mind around
the destruction, upheaval, and choas occasioned by Hurricane Katrina and
her aftermath? I feel like I want to do something, but don't know what.
Here's a small gesture that I would like to suggest. We have not heard
from our colleagues in the affected areas. Are they OK? Are they still
in the area? What are they doing?

I would like to use this list to exchange information about our ALSB
members who were in harm's way. The ALSB directory says we have nine
members in Louisiana, three in Alabama, and six in Mississippi. We have
heard from Pearson Liddell and know that he is safe. What about the
others?

I would also like to use this list to see if we can match up ALSB
members in the affected areas with members who have something to give.
Perhaps you could offer a displaced ALSB colleague some office space at
your school for a semester. Perhaps your school can take in some
students whose semester plans have changed dramatically because of the
devastation. Michael Katz shared with us the press release from his
school. I had five Tulane students in my legal environment class last
evening. Syracuse has taken in a couple hundred students from Tulane and
other New Orleans schools.

Dan Herron has set up a message board on the myALSB section of the
webpage. I suggest we use ALSBtalk to share information about ALSB
colleagues and to see if people have office space, computing facilities,
an apartment etc. to offer. Put Katrina in the subject line so readers
will know what the message is about. As the conversation becomes more
focused, as in person-to-person discussions over utilizing specific
office space, then move to the bulletin board to work out the details.

We have always said ALSB members are like family to each other. One
branch of the family needs our help. I hope we will all be able to
respond.

Fran Zollers