FACULTYTALK Archives

January 2001

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Frank Cross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 23:22:17 -0800
I don't think we have or will have any disputed litmus test for speakers
but it is fair to rule out the extremes (I note that Jim Morgan presented
to his class the arguments for various political philosophies but did not
include racism among them).  I believe that the critics of Ashcroft were
expressing their opinions that he is so extreme that they would be unhappy
having him as a speaker.  That is a perfectly fair opinion for them to
express.  To my knowledge, they have not tried to bully anyone into
rejecting him.  Some judgment is employed in whom to invite, and it is
perfectly reasonable to express opinions in how that judgment should be
exercised

At 10:59 AM 1/19/2001 -0600, Joe Zavaletta wrote:
>Dittos to John Conlee and Jim Morgan.  Joe Zavaletta UT Brownsville

Frank Cross
Herbert D. Kelleher Centennial Professor of Business Law
CBA 5.202
University of Texas at Austin
Austin, TX 78712