FACULTYTALK Archives

October 1995

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Bob Boehmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 1995 09:28:09 EDT
A few thoughts on academic dishonesty: (1)  As much as it may insult and
enrage each  of us  individually, an  act of  academic dishonesty  is an
offense against the university, not the  professor. I believe that it is
unfair to the student who is  accused and to the university community to
deal with cases  of academic dishonesty individually  (i.e., outside the
university academic  dishonesty process).  If we  deal with  these cases
individually,  we are  unfair to  the  student accused  (they deserve  a
chance to state  their case in front of an  impartial factfinder of some
type), we promote  inconsistency in the handling  of academic dishonesty
cases (one  professor will impose  far different sanctions  than another
for  similar  offenses) and  we  potentially  expose ourselves  and  the
university to liability  (the analysis here differs,  of course, between
public and private  institutions. Second, I believe  that the perception
of many students  that college is a "credentialing"  process rather than
an educational  process has contributed  significantly to  the reported
increases in the rate of academic dishonesty (see, e.g., the research of
Donald McCabe).  I find  that students  respond very  well to  a clearly
stated expectation  of a  high standard  of academic  dishonesy combined
with  a  clearly  articulated  statement  of  why  academic  honesty  is
important  (as opposed  to just  another set  of rules  interfering with
obtaining  the  credential).  Third,  I would  appreciate  hearing  from
members of the Academy whose  schools have student-adopted "honor codes"
(e.g., news reports indicate Univ of Fla has recently done this). Do you
find these to be a positive change?