FACULTYTALK Archives

June 2001

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Frank Cross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:40:52 -0700
I want to reinforce the significance of Sally's message (not that she needs
it).  Here's a chance for you to contribute something to our group and
business law generally.  You may gain some valuable contacts and even get a
line on your vita.  And let's not have any false modesty.  You don't have
to be an expert on the AICPA exam.  You just have to have good judgment
(which you already demonstrated by electing Sally and me).

At 05:04 PM 6/20/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>I am about to send out materials to the volunteers for each state re the
>AICPA exam. We are still short a number of states and I may well have
>scared off a number of you who would otherwise be very happy to do this
>for the ALSB by using the term "lobbying". As it was pointed out to me,
>this is a somewhat intimidating notion for many of us.
>
>All you are asked to do is to approach (by phone or in person --
>depending on your comfort level and how well you know people) a
>member(s) of the State Board and provide them with material that I will
>be distributing in both summary and full form. If you are asked
>questions that you can't answer, there are contact numbers on your
>instructions or you can forward the person directly to one of the
>contacts. After making contact you report back so we know what has been
>done.
>
>Our central theme is "do no harm". This is low-key effort as the last
>thing we want to do is look like we have a major ax to grind. But it is
>also important to have a clear statement of our position out there.
>
>Again, these are the states for which I HAVE reps. The balance are
>uncovered:
>
>Arkansas
>California
>Delaware
>Florida
>Georgia
>Illinois
>Indiana
>Iowa
>Kansas
>Louisiana
>Michigan
>Minnesota
>Nevada
>New Jersey
>New Mexico
>North Dakota
>Ohio
>Oklahoma
>South Dakota
>Virginia
>Wisconsin
>
>Thanks.
>
>Sally

Frank Cross
Herbert D. Kelleher Centennial Professor of Business Law
CBA 5.202
University of Texas at Austin
Austin, TX 78712