FACULTYTALK Archives

October 1994

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Caryn Beck-Dudley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 1994 10:20:10 MST7MDT
I wholehearedly agree with Fran Zoller's concerns.  The problem I
believe is more fundamental than who teaches the course.  The problem
is the notion that all university classes (notice this is not limited
to legal environment) do is to convey information.  If that is true,
then information can be obtained from a variety of sources including
videotapes and down town lawyers.  This perception is
reinforced by relying totally on the lecture and by our
methods of testing.  Further, I believe that most
research would show that students retain very little (under 30%) of
the information that they receive in any given class.  What we need
to do is to shift the focus from our role as information conveyer to
our role as professor.  This may include a reevaluation of our
pedagogy and a serious quest into asking what it is we really
accomplish in our classroom.  Do we really teach critical thinking
and if so how is it measured?  Do we really teach analysis of
information and if so how is it measured?  I am becoming convinced,
however, that if we don't refocus the question we will have to
compete with videotapes and internet.  Other responses?