GSCA Archives

February 2004

GSCA@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Kamau Ashanti (Darryn Roberts)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Graduate Students of Color Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 20:17:57 GMT
In response the e-mail Dr. Coates sent out about OutKast’s Grammy
performance, I sent the following message to CBS.  I urge you to take
action by going to www.CBS.com, clicking on Feedback, located at the
bottom of the screen, and sending your own message.  Take care.  …by any
means necessary, Kamau Ashanti.

Dear CBS,

I recently received an e-mail (parts of which appear below) that
discussed the racist (and from what I gather sexist) nature of a
performance, given by OutKast, at the Grammy Awards that you aired.
Personally, I did not watch the show because I have seen what I consider
to be stereotypical material (both sexist and racist) presented on the
show in the past.  Thus, this incident does not surprise me, but it does
outrage me!  When I get the chance, I watch your shows Face the Nation,
48 hours, 60 minutes, and 60 minutes II because they are often
informative and thought provoking.  However, when you run shows that
permit racist and sexist ideals to be transmitted through the airwaves, I
seriously question your integrity and consider not watching any of your
programs at all.  Due to the recent responses of the half-time
performance given by Janet and Justin, I believe it is just a matter of
time before most Americans start to feel as I do and start to stand up
for what is right.  As a critically conscious viewer I am asking you to
take measures to make sure you abolish any racist, sexist, classist, and/
or homophobic messages that your programming transmits.  Please respond
in order to let me know what actions you are taking to abolish such
content.  Thank you.  Sincerely, Darryn Roberts.

*Parts of the abovementioned e-mail:
OutKast Grammy Performance Offends American Indians
Indian Country Today, News Report, Compiled by Peter Micek, Feb 09, 2004

The Grammy Awards Sunday night included a racist performance that has
some readers appalled, according to letters to the editor of national
newspaper Indian Country Today.

Rap group OutKast, who won a Grammy Award for album of the year,
performed their hit song Hey Yawhile dressed as Indians from outer space.

There is no doubt this was an attempt to spoof Native peoples ­ the
background set was a tipi and an introductory voice over mentioned that
the Natives are getting restless,'" Boyd says. If you saw it and do not
like it, I urge you to take action and let CBS know what you think.