GSCA Archives

October 2006

GSCA@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Graduate Students of Color Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2006 11:39:17 -0400
Subject: ASU & EDUN:Supporting Africa! (PLEASE READ)!
From:    "Adeline Kikam" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:    Fri, October 13, 2006 10:05 am
To:      [log in to unmask]

Good day,
In my last mail, I forgot to include a very important piece of
information. This regards the email you have been receiving about EDUN.
What is EDUN about?

Edun is a socially conscious clothing company created by Ali Hewson and
Bono (the musician) with New York clothing designer Rogan Gregory. The
company aims to bring the issue of sustainable employment to the world of
catwalks and high fashion. dun is utilizing locally-run factories in
Africa, South Africa to promote trade, not aid. dun is a for-profit
initiative with an attempt to create a business model others will want to
replicate, which will encourage reinvestment in the work force of the
Africa. Edun strives to improve the overall quality of life through
delivering living wages; to provide long-term sustainable employment in
Africa and to help foster economic growth rather than provide charity.
Their immediate mission is to create jobs and, most importantly, long term
sustainable employment.

How can ASU contribute to this effort? Simple, EDUN's promotional campaign
on MU campus has started by way of highly designed T-shirt at the cheap
price of $10 and the shirt are made of 100%African cotton (How many
clothes in your closet are made of cotton from home? THINK). I am pleading
with the members of ASU to work in junction with EDUN LIVE by purchasing a
campaign shirt, which will be worn on the campaign day coming soon.

If this sounds like a good course to you, please do not hesitate to send
me the following piece of information to [log in to unmask] by MONDAY
OCTOBER 16TH: Name, Size(S, M, L, and XL), and Quantity. I will later on
collect the money at Friday's meeting. I have attached an order form to
this email for those who want to send the above information as an
attachment. I have also attached a power point about EDUN-LIVE for those
interested.
Here is an opportunity to look good while doing good; it's time to start
wearing "MADE IN AFRICA"

Thank you all in advance:
Adeline Kikam
President of
THE Miami African
Student's Union.

"I am an African. I owe my being to the hills and the valleys, the
mountains and the glades, the rivers, the deserts, the trees, the flowers,
the seas and the ever-changing seasons that define the face of our native
land...I am born of a people who are heroes and heroines...Being part of
all these people, and in the knowledge that none dare contest that
assertion, I shall claim that - I am an African!" - Thabo Mbeki

          ~ United We Stand ~
Miami University African Students' Union
http://www.orgs.muohio.edu/muasu