GSCA Archives

January 2007

GSCA@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Chika Nwugo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Graduate Students of Color Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 01:10:09 -0500
Hi Kamautu,
The video is quite disturbing but it does make a point. However, the
issues being raised by the artiste are symptoms of a problem which I think
the artiste himself is guilty of. While listening to the song I heard the
artiste say "even Africans are calling y'all N-word"referring to the MCs
or video vixens he has issues with ...but then he shows a picture of a
primitive African. The use of the word "even" by the artiste while
referring to Africans portrays the artiste's demeaning mentality towards
Africans. This is synonymous to when president Vincente Fox of Mexico made
the comment that Mexican illegal immigrants in America are doing the jobs
that "even" African Americans will not do. I think the main problem with
the black race as a whole is that we are so materialistic that we lose our
sense of self in the process of material pursuit. Four hundred years ago
we sold our own brothers and sisters to total strangers for material
things. The white man did not work in isolation for slavery to happen. The
black race played a very active role in the process. We are in no way
reluctant to sell deadly and addictive drugs to our own people especially
the mothers of our children just so we can put rims on vehicles and then
we turn around and blame the white man for letting it happen. The rulers
of African nations work in cohorts with imperialistic western governments
and embezzle billions of dollars that should have gone into nation
building while living their citizenry in abject poverty and then the same
leaders turn around and blame the western world for ignoring the plight of
Africa nations. I can really go on with this but the truth is that until
we as a race...the black race begin to respect life above materialism we
will continue to be pawns to people who know how to use material things
to enslave and exploit us physically, mentally, socially, economically and
politically. Or is it also the white man's fault that the black race is so
materialistic?

> Dr. Coates,
>
> Greetings.  I didn't know if you were aware of this insightful and
> provocative video (the link is below as well as part of my correspondance
> with the person who sent it to me).  I must warn you that the lyrics and
> images are very explicit; however, they are well worth your attention.
> Well, I would love to know what you think about the video, so if you
> decide to view it please let me know what you think.  Take care.
>
> Kamautu Ashanti, ABD
>
> http://video.earwaxrecords.com/video/324b9625-a6db-43c3-a7c2-985901599b85.htm
>
> The video is very disturbing; however, it's about time that more of our
> brothers stand up and fight against the negativity (minstrel show madness)
> that has reinvaded our community via hip-hop, R&B, and film.  Even though
> they use certain lyrics (e.g., the N-word) that I don't agree with using
> under any circumstances (accept in explaining the history of the word and
> making my case for why we should not embrace it), I must salute them for
> bringing a critical and conscious critique and for fighting to save Black
> people from those Whites and Blacks who are currently exploiting them.
> Well, the video is an excellent teaching tool and, if put into the context
> of how we are exploited and exploit each other, should prove to be a
> valuable weapon in our struggle to save our people's minds.  I'll
> definitely pass it along to others.  Sorry it took so long for me to
> respond.  Drop me a line or two and let me know how you are doing.  Take
> care.
>
> Kamautu
>

>> If you're still there in e-mail land... tell me what you think about
>> this
>> video.  Warning, it's kind of disturbing.
>> http://video.earwaxrecords.com/video/324b9625-a6db-43c3-a7c2-985901599b85.htm

Chika Nwugo
Ph.D. Candidate
Miami University
Botany Department
333 Pearson Hall
Office: 513-529-4259
Lab   : 513-529-4269
Cell  : 513-461-1860

In the mind of geniuses, imagination is more important than fact.