GSCA Archives

October 2001

GSCA@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Y.R. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Graduate Students of Color Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 03:39:55 -0500
Dear Colleagues,

In recent weeks I've met some new graduate students at M.U. and reconnected
with folks I have not seen in awhile.  Many of the folks I've come in
contact with are doing well, yet there is a group of folks that are
stressin'  I've tried to lend my two cents of advice, but I feel to craft a
community solution maybe we should dialogue on this list about gettin'
through...Survivin' and eventually thriving in graduate school.

What advise would you give a new graduate student that is stressed about
teaching a predominately white and upper middle class student body.
Moreover, a student body that often has a grand sense of entitlement, bias
and privilige, that interrupts the teaching and learning process?

What advise would you give a fellow student that is experiencing a sense of
isolation or alienation in their program or in this community(M.U. and/or
Oxford)?

What role do you think a graduate student centered organization can play in
the following areas:

1.      Community building amongst graduate students from different disciplines?

2.      Professional and scholarly development of graduate students?

3.      Social life of graduate students?

4.      Advocacy and empowerment of graduate students?

YRB

LIVE THE WORDS...REAP THE REWARDS!

To decide to live at the level of choice is to take responsibility
and be in control of your life.                         Arbie M. Dale

“Self worth cannot be verified by others. You are a worthy person because
you say it is so. If you depend on others for your
  value it is other-worth.” Wayne Dyer-Your Erroneous Zones

Be prepared, curious and vigilant!                      Yolanda R. Brown

Be the change you wish to see in the world.      Mahatma Gandhi

Vision looks inward and becomes duty.
Vision looks outward and becomes aspiration.
Vision looks upward and becomes faith.          Author unknown

Conventional education makes independent thinking extremely difficult.
Conformity leads to mediocrity. To be different from the group or to resist
environment is not easy and is often risky as long as we worship success.
The urge to be successful, which is the pursuit of reward
whether in the material or in the so-called spiritual sphere, the search for
inward or outward security, the desire for comfort--this whole process
smothers discontent, puts an end to spontaneity and breeds fear; and fear
blocks the intelligent understanding of life.

                                                                        J. Krishnamurti
computer.