GSCA Archives

October 2007

GSCA@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Graduate Students of Color Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:35:13 -0400
I will be teaching a critical race theory course this coming spring.  We
can arrange for 500/600 graduate level hours for a select group of graduate
students.  For these (only 7 will be allowed) I will work with students to
create a discipline specific module to accompany the primary readings of
the course.  Thus a graduate student in literature might be interested in
critical race theory and literary criticism, political science –critical
race theory and law or political systems, in education –critical race
theory and pedagogy, or gerontology –critical race theory and aging.
Students may contact me for enrollment options

Rodney Coates ([log in to unmask])

SOC: 490: Horizons in Sociology

Critical Race Theory

Tu-th 11-12:15

Critical race theory bridges the gap between sociological theory and legal
studies by investigating the link between race, jurisprudence, and power.
Understanding the social construction of race, the course will look at such
critical race theorists as Derrick Bell, Jari Matsuda, Richard Delgado,
Kimberle Williams Crenshaw, Gloria Ladson-Billings, and William Tate.
Classical treatments of race as found in the writings of Weber, Du Bois,
Locke will also be explored.