GSCA Archives

January 2008

GSCA@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Lara Chatman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Graduate Students of Color Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:36:51 -0500
January 21, 2008

Dear GSCA,

We are writing to invite you and your graduate students to participate in
the Eighth Annual Graduate Student and Faculty Conference on Leadership,
Culture, and Schooling to be held at Miami University on Saturday, February
23, 2008.  This conference is part of Miami University’s Department of
Educational Leadership Initiative that seeks to illuminate the intersection
of leadership, culture, and schooling and its potential to transform
schooling.  Our goal is to bring together a diverse group of graduate
students, faculty, and policy makers who are engaged in issues of
educational leadership.  The format of presentations may vary from formal
paper presentations to “round” table panel discussions.

The broad theme of this year’s conference is “Culture, Power, and Ethics:
Transformative Leadership in the Global Era.”  We understand this focus to
include a wide array of educational topics including a critical analysis of
culture, power, and ethics and how they inform educational leadership and
schooling practices.  Proposals are due January 28, 2008

Enclosed is a call for presentations and a registration form.  We ask that
you please distribute these materials to graduate students and faculty who
may be interested.  We hope that you can join us for this exciting
opportunity.  Please contact us by e-mail or telephone if you have any
questions.

Sincerely,

Dr. Patrice McClellan, Conference Chairperson
513-529-0425

Mr. David Childs, Conference Co-Chair

Mr. Brent Johnson, Conference Co-Chair

Eighth Annual Ohio Graduate Student and Faculty Conference

CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS

Culture, Power, and Ethics:  Transformative Leadership in the Global Era

www.muohio.edu/muinitiative
http://www.units.muohio.edu/eap/EDL/home.html

The Department of Educational Leadership of Miami University is pleased to
announce the Eighth Annual Ohio Graduate Student and Faculty Conference on
Leadership, Culture, and Schooling.  This conference is a multidisciplinary
forum for graduate students to present their research and scholarship in
the leadership, culture, and schooling arena.  Faculty collaboration and
participation of graduate student projects are encouraged.  The conference
is scheduled for Saturday, February 23, 2008 at the Marcum Conference
Center located on the Oxford campus of Miami University.  The registration
fee is $25.00.

We invite submissions on any topic that include a critical analysis of
these terms: culture, power, and ethics, or engage how they inform or
impact educational leadership and schooling practices.  We welcome
presentations from a variety of disciplines that are theoretically informed
and that employ diverse methodologies.  We also welcome panel submissions,
which should include three papers or presentations united by a common theme
or focus.  We encourage “round table” formats or artistic performances to
create synergistic dialogues among conference participants.

Please e-mail an abstract of 200-300 words including title, keywords,
topic, and the preferred format of presentation to [log in to unmask]  by
Monday, January 7, 2008.  Please contact us with questions by e-mail or
telephone.

Dr. Patrice McClellan – [log in to unmask], 513-529-0425

David Childs – [log in to unmask]

Brent Johnson – [log in to unmask]

Eighth Annual Ohio Graduate Student and Faculty Conference
Culture, Power, and Ethics:  Transformative Leadership in the Global Era
Miami University, Marcum Conference Center
Saturday, February 23, 2008

REGISTRATION FORM

NAME:	 ___________________________________________________________

HOME ADDRESS:	______________________________________________________

MAILING ADDRESS: ____________________________________________________

PHONE (#1):	_________________________     PHONE (#2):
____________________

FAX:	_______________________________     E-MAIL: ________________________

REGISTRATION FEE:  $25.00

Checks and Money Orders made payable to:  MIAMI UNIVERSITY-DEPARTMENT OF
EDUCATIONAL LEADERSHIP

The registration fee will cover the cost of meals and interim refreshments.

Lodging is the sole responsibility of conference participants.
Reservations can be made at the following locations:

Marcum Conference Center and Miami Inn:  513-529-6911

Hampton Inn (Oxford):  513-524-0114

Best Western (Sycamore Inn, Oxford):   513-523-0000

Please return to:
Department of Educational Leadership
Attn:  Dr. Patrice McClellan
304 McGuffey Hall