GSCA Archives

October 2005

GSCA@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jarius Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Graduate Students of Color Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 16:34:20 -0400
Subject: Fwd: Sixth Annual Study Abroad Program in International Health
From:    "Cheryl Evans" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:    Thu, October 20, 2005 7:23 am
To:      "Mr. Jairus-Joaquin R. Matthews" <[log in to unmask]>

Please post on the GSCA listserv.
Thanks
>Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 01:30:28 -0400 (EDT)
>Subject: Sixth Annual Study Abroad Program in International Health From:
"Reginald Fennell, Ph.D., CHES, F-ACHA" <[log in to unmask]> To: "Juanita
Tate" <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]

>Bonjour Cheryl and Juanita,
>
>Please share this information with graduate students and undergraduate
students who you think would be interested in this program.  I would very
much like to increase the minority enrollment in my study abroad program
and if you have any suggestions on how I can do this, it would be much
appreciated.

>I have attached a flyer about the program.  Juanita, could you also share
this with the ABFS?  Perhaps they could also share the information with
students.

>The program will be held June 2 ­ July 10, 2006. The program is limited
to 14 students and is taught in English.

>Previous years have included seminars at international and European
organizations such as:

>1) The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria
>2) Doctors without Borders
>3) U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees
>4) Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS)
>5) International Labor Organization (ILO)
>6) The World Health Organization (WHO)
>7) Centre Régional d’Information et de Prévention du Sida (CRIPS) 8) The
International Union for Health Promotion and Education (IUHPE) 9) The
United Nations Headquarters (UN)

>For an application and cost information:
>
><www.units.muohio.edu/eap/phs/> Click on “Other Resources” then on “Study
Abroad” and then download application.

>In the past two years, students from the nine universities have been
accepted and enrolled in the program.  These universities included:
Bowling Green State University, The University of California, Berkeley
School of Public Health, Indiana University Department of Applied Health
Science, University of Minnesota, Duluth, the University of Oklahoma
Health Sciences Center College of Public Health, Pitzer College of the
Claremont Colleges, Rice University, St. Norbett College, and St. John’s
University.

>Thus, students in the program also spend the summer with students from
other universities.  This increases their professional contacts both
abroad and in the U.S.  Thank you again for sharing this with students.

>Merci beaucoup,
>Reginald
>
>--
>Reginald Fennell, Ph.D., CHES, F-ACHA
>Professor of Health Education
>Past President, American College Health Association <www.acha.org>
Director, Study Abroad Program in International Health
><www.units.muohio.edu/eap/phs/>
>107A Phillips Hall, Department of PHS
>Oxford, Ohio 45056
>513-529-3226 (office); 513-529-5006 (fax)

Cheryl Burgan Evans, Ph.D.
Associate Dean of the Graduate School and
Associate Professor - Family Studies
Graduate School
102B Roudebush Hall
Miami University