GSCA Archives

April 2007

GSCA@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ariel Washington <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Graduate Students of Color Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2007 20:13:09 -0400
Greetings:

This is for thoses that are not on the ABFAS listserve and may be
interested or have the time.

Ariel

Subject: Summer Term 1: BWS 151 - Looking for 8 Good Students: Miami Plan
Foundation Course From:    "RODNEY COATES" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:    Mon, April 23, 2007 3:28 pm
To:      [log in to unmask]

Summer Term I Looking for Excitement, Wonder, and a Great
Learning Experience– Then Consider –
BWS 151: Introduction to Black World Studies - 4 Credit Hours
MPF, MPT IIC, IIIA, H.

What does it mean to be black?  How has blackness been structured by the
western paradoxes of race and freedom, class and gender, and modernity and
post-modernity?  What kinds of messages have been left, what types of
problems solved, and what types of questions need to be asked in this
contemporary universe?  How have the music and the culture of the African
Diaspora sustained hope while challenging complacency?
 I would like to invite you to join us in BWS 151: The Introduction to
Black World Studies as we confront these issues through the voices and
eyes of such Black pioneers as Olauidah Equiano and Maria W. Stewart, Nat
Turner and Sojourner Truth, Frederick Douglass and Frances Harper.  Joins
us as we consider the voice of Anna Julia Cooper and Paul Laurence
Dunbar, travel the Harlem Renaissance with Claude McKay and Amy Garvey.
This course will highlight the background of the Modern Civil Rights
movement by investigating Claudia Jones and Thurgood Marshall, Roy
Wilkins and Ella Baker.  We will conclude by interrogating modern hip-hop
and rap, the growth of the mega church and the challenge of the ‘New
Black”.  If you are looking to explore the depths of blackness, seeking
to critically understand the continual purposes and promises of the
various black communities, and want to further your appreciation of the
creative genus that has evolved as black consciousness – then I invite
you to take BWS 151: Introduction to Black World Studies –this summer,
term 1.

Rodney D. Coates
Professor

"Being here is not enough........"