GSCA Archives

February 2006

GSCA@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jarius Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Graduate Students of Color Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2006 18:15:13 -0500
Subject: Fwd: Summer teaching opportunities in the PA State System of
Higher Education From:    "Cheryl Evans" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:    Wed, February 8, 2006 4:40 pm
To:      "Mr. Jairus-Joaquin R. Matthews" <[log in to unmask]>

Please forward to the GSCA Listserv.
Thanks,
DrE
>Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 16:29:28 -0500
>From: "Leslie Sawyer" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "stars" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Fwd: Summer teaching opportunities in the PA State System of
>         Higher Education
>
>STARS Campus Coordinators:
>
>I am forwarding the following information to you about an
>opportunity that may apply to your STARS students.  Please share as
appropriate.

>Thanks.
>
>Leslie
>
>Leslie J. Sawyer
>Director, Access Initiatives
>Ohio Board of Regents
>30 East Broad Street, 36th Floor
>Columbus, Ohio 43215-3414
>Phone:   (614) 752-9537
>Fax:       (614) 466-5866
>E-Mail:   <mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]

>Leslie,
>     I thought you might know someone who might be interested in
> this opportunity, or that you might be able to forward this on to  an
agency/program who might be able to help identify interested
individuals. Thanks!
>    Jack

>The Frederick Douglass Teaching Scholars Program
>________________________________
>

>The State System of Higher Education (SSHE) for Pennsylvania is offering
summer teaching opportunities to graduate students entering the final
year of terminal degree programs and preparing to be college teachers.
These summer teaching positions are available at three system
>universities: Indiana University of PA, Lock Haven University of PA, and
West Chester University of PA. The purpose of the positions is to attract
graduate students from historically underrepresented and
>underserved populations. Selected scholars will teach and/or co- teach
one course during one of the two 5- week Summer Sessions. The respective
dates vary among each university but run from May thru August.

>This program is designed to give these graduate students teaching
experience and to explore employment opportunities within a university
setting, which is committed to cultural diversity. This is in keeping
with the spirit of Douglass' life of public service and the Universities
mission to be a source of encouragement to the African American, Native
American, Hispanic American, and Asian American communities.

>Minimum requirements are: Applicants must be U.S. citizens. Masters
degree required and doctoral or ABD preferred; academic background in one
of the fields taught; and at least three favorable letters of
recommendation from faculty or professionals in the student's field,
including the student's advisor. Preferred: experience teaching or as a
teaching assistant. Scholars will be compensated as adjunct faculty,
according to each university's collective bargaining agreement. Scholars
are expected to live in housing that will be provided at no charge and to
participate in campus activities. Roundtrip travel is also provided.
Priority consideration will be given to applications postmarked by
February 27, 2006.

>To be competitive, an application packet must be complete and will include:
>
>*
>         An application form;
>*
>         A cover letter and curriculum vita describing your research
>area(s), experience and qualifications;
>*
>         A copy of your graduate transcript. (This can be a copy of the
>official transcript);
>*
>         A letter from your major or dissertation adviser regarding your
>qualifications for this program; and
>*
>         A letter from at least two additional references regarding your
>experience and ability. (If you have teaching experience, letters should
include relevant information.)

>Please send THREE copies of application and THREE copies of supporting
materials to:

>Office of Academic and Student Affairs
>Attention:  Douglass Summer Scholars
>State System of Higher Education
>2986 North Second Street
>Harrisburg, PA 17110
>
>________________________________
>
>Dr. Veronica Watson
>Director, The Frederick Douglass Institute
>Indiana University of Pennsylvania
>110 Leonard Hall, 421 North Walk
>Indiana, PA  15701
>
>Phone: 724.357.2280
>Email:  [log in to unmask]
>Website: www.chss.iup.edu/fdi

Cheryl Burgan Evans, Ph.D.
Associate Dean of the Graduate School and
Associate Professor - Family Studies
Graduate School
102B Roudebush Hall
Miami University