GSCA Archives

November 2007

GSCA@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Lara Chatman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Graduate Students of Color Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2007 10:02:49 -0400
Miami University Leaders,

           I would like to formally inform you of the recent event that has
taken place on Miami’s campus. After a critical class discussion of race
relations, a student commented that he saw a tree with nooses hanging from
it. With the conclusion of class Jasmine Dixon and I walked to the location
in which the young man described as the location of the hanging nooses.
Much to our dismay we found seven nooses, with a tire swing hanging from a
tree outside of the Western Alumni Hall and Museum, on Western Drive.
Numerous people showed up after our arrival. Including: Miami OPD, Dr.
Susan Mosley-Howard, Darryl Williams, the student responsible for hanging
the nooses, and other black Miami students. With the students arrival he
was questioned by me, Jasmine Dixon, and Dr. Susan Mosley Howard about his
motives behind such a heinous display of ignorance and disrespect. The
young Art major stated that he had no ill intentions and that this was an
art project approved by his professors that was meant to portray
adolescence and death. There were pictures taken and a report taken by the
Miami OPD.

         This email is to serve as more then merely a description of recent
events that may not surprise you but, upset you. However, this is a call
for all of Miami’s leaders to no longer be shackled by the confines of
a “week” or “black history month”, or any other time frame that
is “designated” for our voices to heard. It is now time for us to be heard
as ONE voice. We need to come together under one umbrella of a call for
CHANGE! An issue that Miami has been calling “diversity”, has been
spiraling out of control for entirely to long. While we continue to chase
the red tape of the university around in circle, on the issues that we want
to see addressed and changed, the problems persist. We can sugar coat the
issue of race on Miami’s campus all day. But, the bottom line is we need
more multicultural faculty and staff on Miami’s campus, and we need overall
awareness of multiculturalism. Multiculturalism awareness, not only from
the stand point of the students but, the faculty and staff as well. This
problem of race relations has been on going without any sign of change, and
if Miami University can not find a solution to this issue and implement
immediate change then it is up to us to bring the solutions to Miami
University and see it through. THE TIME IS NOW!!!!!! In light of the prompt
response of President Hodge, (which is a milestone within the actions of
past Miami Presidents in situations such as this) we are trusting that the
administration will diligently work with us in an effort to alter the race
climate and lack of student and faculty diversity.

         We would like to initiate an emergency meeting Saturday Nov 3rd,
2007 at 3pm at the College Suites Club House, to discuss the solutions to
problems of diversity, respect, and all of the above. These solutions will
be drafted into a letter that will be presented to President Hodge, and
seen through to there enactment. More details of the meeting with President
Hodge will be given during the meeting. This will not be another DAC
meeting, General Body Meeting, or harbor any specific title. This is a call
to all leaders on Miami’s campus to take the initiative to say that ENOUGH
IS ENOUGH and that we must pave the way and not leave these same burdens
with those that will follow after us!

P.S. Please feel free to bring your advisors. PLEASE SEND THIS ACROSS ANY
LISTSERV YOU ARE APART OF!!!!!!!!!!

Shaneqa Harper
Jasmine Dixon
Denise Mack

Shaneqa Harper
Miami University
Oxford, Ohio 45056
Black World Studies/Marketing
National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) Miami
University Chapter President

~ 1 Corinthians 13: 4-8