JOURMAJR Archives

November 2005

JOURMAJR@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Richard Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 11:00:37 -0500
11-11-05

TO:  Journalism Students
FROM:  Richard Campbell, Director, JRN Program
RE:  Spring Courses

I thought I would let you know about JRN courses for upcoming term. Here's
the situation:

JRN 101, 202, and 301 sections are closed and we have started
waitlists.  Let me know if you want on those waitlists.  (I only start a
waitlist when all sections of a course are full -- and the only way into a
JRN class that's full is via a force add from me.  Once classes actually
start, the only way into a class is through the course instructor in the
first week of class.)

JRN 201 -- I've opened a new section -- 201E -- that meets on TR from
8-9:15 am. Patti Newberry is the instructor.  Let me know if you want to
take that class.

JRN 316A (news presentation) and 318B (feature writing): Because we are in
between the new major and old major, some 300 level classes have
openings.  These two classes have low enrollment and if you want them --
and have taken 201 -- I can force add you now.  Just let me know. (I have
already cancelled a 418 and a 421 capstone class because of low enrollment.)

JRN 180A and AMS 401 capstone: These two special classes are being taught
by Jim Tobin, an award-winning nonfiction writer and a former Detroit News
reporter, who is here form Ann Arbor as a distinguished professor for the
spring term.  JRN 180A is an honors class but now has some openings for
other JRN students -- the topic is "Introduction to Narrative
Nonfiction."  The AMS 401 capstone is titled "TRUE STORIES: Craft and
Critical Issues in Narrative Nonfiction."   If you are interested in this
topic and want one of these classes, please let me know.  (I would also be
willing to count either of these classes, if this would help you, toward
your major.)

For IMS and COM classes required for the major, you need to contact those
programs for information or to be added to a waitlist  -- Kim Hensley in
120 Williams keeps the waitlists for the COM classes, including COM 143.

Good luck -- and please email me if you have concerns. My office hours are
10-11:30 M-R in BAC 279.