JOURMAJR Archives

November 2001

JOURMAJR@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"David R. Davies" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Journalism Majors <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 21:08:18 -0600
Hello folks. I emailed you earlier this school year
about a course I am teaching a course in Journalism/PR
in London next summer, and I wanted to let you know that
brochures about the program are now available. Interested
students can email Frances Sudduth <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
their snailmail addresses to get a brochure describing all our
programs in detail.

Could I trouble you to pass on info about the course to your members?
Thanks.
(Course info is at http://daviddavies.org)

---

Study Journalism & PR in London next summer!
The University of Southern Mississippi will
again offer journalism & PR students an opportunity
to study British journalism in London through
a five-week course offered through the
British Studies Program.

The course carries six hours of undergraduate/
graduate credit and will be offered from July 4-
Aug. 2, 2002, in London. USM offers the course
through a consortium of 12 Southeastern schools.
Last year more than 200 students from two dozen
universities took courses through the program,
which is the largest London-based international
program in the U.K.

Students in the course will visit British media
institutions (The Sun, BBC, etc.) and hear lectures
from experts in British media. The course covers
print and broadcast media, advertising, and
public relations. This summer 10 of the 12
students in the course were PR majors, and
all said they found it beneficial.

You can get financial aid just as if this were a
course you were taking in the U.S. You apply
through your local financial aid office. Last
year folks from 20 universities took one of our
British Studies courses, and all had no difficulty
transferring the course back to their own universities.
There are no prerequisites for the course.

We stay in central London in King's College at one
of their dormitories. The rooms are quite small,
but everyone gets a private room with fridge and
private path. Each five flats share a kitchen.
While few folks do a lot of cooking, the kitchen
is handy. The dorm has a large courtyard that
is the social center of the program. Students quickly
make friends with the folks in their class as well as
students from across the country.

The dorm is on Stamford Street, a hundred yards
or so from Waterloo Station. The central location
puts you just a few minutes walk from Tralfalgar
Square, Leicester Square, and the theater district.
Most folks walk when they're headed to central
London, it's so close.

The cost for the program is about $4400. While
the amount seems high, it's low when
compared to other schools' tuition for similar programs.
And since it includes tuition, air travel, and lodging,
it's not as steep as it sounds.

I'm happy to answer any questions. If you'd
prefer that we talk on the telephone, I'm happy to
call you on my dime. Just send your number if you
want me to give you a buzz.

Course info:
http://daviddavies.org

-d