JOURMAJR Archives

November 1999

JOURMAJR@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Linda Crider <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Journalism Majors <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 23:07:42 GMT
Journalism majors:
The following message I received may interest some of you.
Linda Crider

Colleagues,

I apologize for the last-minute nature of this notice, but it now
appears that there will be some room tomorrow and Friday in an
interesting news workshop we are conducting for the WMUB news staff
and students. We are sponsoring a 2-day residency on local news by a
veteran public reporter, Paul Brown. Two of the sessions will be
specifically for our news students, and I also wanted to invite any
of your students to attend if they want to encounter dynamic news
person with a compelling vision for local news.

Paul Brown was News Director and later Program Director at WFDD (Wake Forest
University, Winston-Salem, NC). He is a  multi-dimensional reporter and
producer. He has worked in commercial
radio, public radio, and newspapers. In addition he is a folklorist,
a fine old-time fiddle player, and producer of award winning music
series and specials called "Across the Blue Ridge". Of particular
interest to us is the fact that he has produced many features and
news spots for the NPR news magazines, and helped craft a very
vigorous local news service at WFDD.

There will be two listening sessions for students, Thursday afternoon
at 2:30 and 9:00 Friday morning in the WMUB studios. Paul will play
tape of some NPR stories and discuss story genesis from conception to
broadcast. Our students are being encouraged to attend either, or
both, and bring tape of their own; your students are welcome to
attend and participate as well.

Thank you.