JOURMAJR Archives

April 2000

JOURMAJR@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kevin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Journalism Majors <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 16:05:12 -0400
Students, alumni, faculty:

        Three Cincinnati women who have distinguished themselves in the
print and broadcast media, will come together at 7 p.m., Monday, April 24
in the Bachelor Reading Room for a panel discussion on the woman's role as
a journalist, and how women can best position themselves for jobs of
authority within the industry. There is sure to be plenty of advice and
anecdotes.
        Women working in the media is not new, but there is a
disproportionate number of women in key management roles with the industry.
These women will address our students, in particular the female students,
on what they can expect in the workforce, and how to prepare themselves for
the time when they can lead a paper, magazine or station.
        Participating will be Judith Clabes, president and CEO of Scripps
Howard  Foundation; Kitty Morgan, editor of Cincinnati Magazine and
Kathrine Nero, sportscaster and reporter for WCPO-TV.
        We are pleased that all three women have enthusiastically agreed to
come to our campus for this meeting.
        We think that given the percentage of females within the journalism
and mass communications department, this topic is perfect for a great
number of our students.
        Following the discussion, there will be a reception sponsored by
the Society of Professional Journalists.
        Please make plans to attend this event. It will be the best
journalism program on campus this year and we'd like to see you there. Look
for additional fliers and reminders around campus.

Kevin Z. Smith
acting director, journalism