JOURMAJR Archives

April 1999

JOURMAJR@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Rodrigo Lazo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Journalism Majors <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 03:34:17 -0400
Mike Gruss raises important points/concerns about the journalism program,
and I would like to address some of them.

While I agree that the journalism program needs to work on several fronts
-- curriculum revision, hiring a new faculty member, and developing more
pipelines to intership programs -- those changes will not be a guarantee
for jobs in this highly competitive profession. Students need to hustle to
break into their first jobs.

1) University programs and education will take you only so far in
journalism. Editors value professional experience over education (and those
who value education are likely to like the "English" part of a Miami
degree). My point here is that even if Miami's program were to change
radically, students would still need to be out writing for newspapers and
applying for internships. Columbia's graduate journalism program, arguably
the most respected in the country, is not a guarantee for a job. Many
Columbia grads find themselves (like Miami students) fighting for jobs at
smaller newspapers and other forms of media at the beginning of their
careers.

2) You will be more competitive by having a skill or base of knowledge that
others don't have. In the 1980s, a lot of newspapers were hiring business
writers. Recently, knowledge of the Web has helped people break into Web
pages. Speaking Spanish can help you land a job in a city with a large
Spanish-speaking population. I think Miami's journalism program can help,
but it will be up to students to find their "edge."

3) Journalism as a profession is very demanding. No one is going to hand
you anything (especially not a job). And if you do get a break, it usually
leads to a lot of work. Those of you who want to become working journalists
should be ready for tough working conditions.

I hope that students will not be discouraged by the challenges of the
profession. If someone shuts the door in your face, knock again. If someone
hangs up, call back. And if there's no answer, call back at 2 a.m. You
might get a great (if groggy) quote!!!

Best,

Rodrigo Lazo