JOURMAJR Archives

November 2004

JOURMAJR@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Richard Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 10:04:13 -0500
Nov. 1, 2004

>TO: Journalism Students
>
>FROM:  Richard Campbell, Director, Journalism Program
>
>RE:  registration and force-adds POLICY

>As most of you know, with the new journalism program beginning and many
>students still in the old ENG/JRN program, we will have some problems in
>the transition. We have also changed some things.  Since I am now
>supervising the program, we are no longer withholding 20 percent of the
>spaces in each class and then force-adding students later.   If you can't
>get into a class, it's usually because the class is full or it is
>restricted (e.g., no non-majors) or journalism is your second major (and
>Banner only recognizes your first major).
>
>In order for me to understand the system and its problems, I need to track
>things.  So please call (9-7525) or  email with your concerns and
>individual problems (campber@muohio).
>
>Our priority right now is taking care of the old majors who need to
>graduate this year.  The biggest problem we face is getting these ENG/JRN
>majors (300 of you) through the system in a timely way.  To that end, we
>opened up 4 sections of 417 and 418 courses, and 3 capstones for the
>seniors.  These are all full now and we should have accommodated almost
>all students who need to graduate in Dec. and May.  If students can't get
>into these courses and will be here next year, you can take them next
>year.  I will make sure that we offer the JRN classes you need.  If we get
>enough of a list together to merit opening another 400-level class, I will
>do that this term ... but only after I have a substantial list from
>seniors.  So please let me know.
>
>As I learn Miami's ways, I will also make msitakes.  In one instance I
>scheduled a 417 class when I meant to schedule a 418 class.  We had to
>change this and it inconvenienced some students.  I apologize for this.
NEW MAJORS:  Your registration will go a little easier, especially if you
are trying to get in JRN 101 and/or 201, if you are declared as
pre-major.  You can do this through a "change of major" form available in
Upham 146.  You will also need me to sign it.  For those of your with
questions about the required grammar/skills test for the major, we are
working on that and it will be available in spring term. More on this later.