JOURMAJR Archives

October 1999

JOURMAJR@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Glenn Feltz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 1999 12:54:05 -0400
Note from Cheryl Heckler-Feltz

To listserve subscribers:

Last week's trivia question "Where do we get the term 'deadline?' " had
one winner.

Congratulations Megan Atkinson, who received a handful of Tootsie Rolls
for her efforts.

Prof. Linda Crider wanted to play as well, but since every single one of
her students knows first-hand Linda's definition of deadline, I
declined.

According to my research (and Megan's) "Deadline" was coined in American
language during the Civil War. Enemy soldiers kept in overflowing prison
camps were allowed during warmer months to stay in fields surrounded by
two rings of barbed fence line. The outside fence was called "the
deadline."

If a prisoner slipped over the first fence, prison guards were to try
and capture him on foot. If he made it over the "deadline," guards were
to kill him without question.

And you guys thought Crider was tough.

The term became part of our journalistic language in the 1920s, and as a
side note, if you visit Andersonville Prison just outside Plains,
Georgia, you can see not only what life was like for CW prisoners but
also see the International Prisoner of War Monument -- very worthwhile.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTION:

These two journalists were credited with/blamed for bringing down the
Nixon Administration.

See me or Linda with the answer.

ONE FINAL NOTE: obviously I am still learning how to use the listserv.No
doubt you saw my thank you to John Lowery for lunch last week. Then
again, maybe Mr. Lowery will buy lunch for students who get the really
tough trivia questions.... just something
to think about.

Cheryl