JOURMAJR Archives

April 1999

JOURMAJR@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kevin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Journalism Majors <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 13:44:55 -0400
        The notion of journalists as professionals hinges on what
definition you place on the word "professional."
        There has been a long-standing debate that journalism isn't a
profession, but a trade of sorts, because there are no prerequisites for
being a journalist. Sure, most are college educated and have degrees and
training in journalism. That's what the industry is filled with, but you
don't have to have a degree to start a paper. In a free country with a free
press, anyone can be a publisher. Look at the Internet, it has made
reporters and publishers out of people who can barely write, let alone
gather news in a proper manner. That is why the Internet is a wasteland.
The beauty of it is that no one can limit your rights to be a journalist.
That is also the bane of the situation.
        Doctors and lawyers, on the other hand, have to undergo serious,
regimental training before taking up their profession. That is where this
whole argument of journalists not being "professional" comes from. Anyone,
theoretically can do it. Realistically, that's not the case.
        Having unprofessional journalists is a risky endeavor. Too many
unprofessional mistakes leads to a lack of credibility.
        Ask your professor how much he knew about teaching when he started
and if he was properly trained to walk into a classroom for the first time,
and "teach" people. Knowledge does not equal teaching skills, so even with
a PhD, what understanding of teaching did he have that first year? Now,
compare that to the attorney who walks into a courtroom for the first time,
or the doctor. They've been training years for this moment. Can every
professor say the same thing? Does that mean professors should not be
considered professional? Hardly.
        Journalists consider themselves professional. We do it for money
(i.e. not amateurs) and we are skilled and trained to ferret news, and
present it to our audiences. I've always considered myself a professional
and I belong to the Society of Professional Journalists, which I might add,
has had this debate for years (about taking professional out of the title)
Some think it's a poor attempt to legitimize ourselves before people like
your professor.

Kevin Z. Smith
acting director, journalism