JOURMAJR Archives

October 2005

JOURMAJR@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Richard Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 12:30:33 -0400
Here are description of spring JRN capstones:

JRN 421A – Monday, 5-7:40 p.m., Upham 5
Instructor:  Bettina Fabos
Title: Documentary and Beyond: Exploring Long Form Journalism
The course will cover historical documentaries (where we’ve come from),
contemporary work (where we are going) and theory (why all this
matters).  We will be viewing many films, videos, and film/video excerpts.
We will be discussing the role of objectivity in long-form journalism, and
consider many issues concerning voice and narrative.

JRN 421B – T, R 12:30-1:45 p.m., BAC 346
Instructor: Judi Hetrick
Title: Compass Magazine
The course will produce Compass magazine for the College of Arts and
Science. Students will be involved in every aspect of magazine production,
from reporting and writing through editing, and page and Web design.
Everyone will have some sort of leadership role, and we all share
responsibility for getting out a quality publication the College will be
proud to use.

JRN 421C – T, R 5-6:15 p.m., WIH 115C
Instructor: Joe Sampson
Title: Fact or Fiction: A Survey of Contemporary Literary Journalism
The course will wrestle with questions such as, What is a “fact”? What is
“the truth”? What’s the difference between the two? What is the reporter’s
relationship to and responsibility toward “truthful” and” factual”
storytelling?  By combining distinct elements of traditional journalism and
nonfiction prose, Literary Journalism offers a unique opportunity to
examine and debate these intriguing questions.