JOURMAJR Archives

May 2007

JOURMAJR@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Patricia Newberry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patricia Newberry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2007 06:18:22 -0400
All: Cincinnati magazine is accepting applications for fall interns until
June 1. See details below. -- PGN

_

Greetings!

Aiesha here. I'm just sending out a quick reminder to all of my university
contacts about the next internship deadline here at Cincinnati Magazine. If
you have any students interested in interning here in the fall, please let
them know that all application materials (cover letter, resume,
clips/writing samples) are due by June 1, 2007. Below is some additional
information on our editorial program. I will send out more info on our new
web editorial internship in a separate email.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,

Aiesha

--
Aiesha D. Little
Associate Editor/

Thank you for your interest in our internship program. We are always looking
for bright, energetic, hard-working students who are interested in the field
of magazine publishing.

CINCINNATI MAGAZINE INTERNSHIP PROGRAM (EDITORIAL)

The intent of our program is to give students a taste of magazine life. Some
of our former interns have gone on to full-time jobs in magazine publishing,
armed with research, writing, and reporting skills that they honed during
their time with us.

The primary areas of responsibility during the four-month internships are:

1) Fact checking - Every story that appears in the magazine is checked for
accuracy, making fact checking the number one priority in our publishing
process.

2) Research/reporting - You will be expected to help out on the research and
Dining Out Guide, Travel, etc.).

3) Completing short writing assignments - While fact checking is the number
one priority in our internship program, we also encourage interns to
research and pitch story ideas that would be appropriate for our readership.
We guarantee that interns will get one clip for their portfolios, but
additional opportunities to write for publication depends on the initiative
students show on non-writing assignments.

4) Staff participation/interaction - Part of successfully completing an
internship with us means that you have attempted to become a part of our
staff. We expect interns to be proactive in asking questions, providing
editorial input when requested, and seeking out the answers they need.

**NOTE: This is not a writing internship, however, the research and
fact-checking responsibilities interns have at our magazine are very similar
to tasks that many would take on in entry-level magazine jobs.

Our internships are unpaid and we require a minimum of 15 hours per week in
the office (times and days vary depending on class/work schedules). If you
are interested, please e-mail your resume, cover letter and clips to
[log in to unmask] or mail them to:

Cincinnati Magazine
Internship Program
705 Central Ave., Suite 175
Cincinnati, OH 45202
Attn.: Aiesha D. Little

To apply, you must be a permanent resident of or attend school in the
Greater Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area (thatıs Hamilton, Butler,
Clermont, and Warren counties in Ohio, and Kenton, Campbell, and Boone
counties in Kentucky).

Summer internship (2007) - PASSED

Fall internship (2007) ­ mid-August to mid-December
Application deadline: June 1, 2007 (postmarked)
Notification: July 31, 2007

Spring internship (2008) - January to April
Application deadline: October 2, 2007 (postmarked)
Notification: November 30, 2007

Summer internship (2008) - May to August
Application deadline: Feb. 1, 2008 (postmarked)
Notification: March 30, 2008