JOURMAJR Archives

March 2005

JOURMAJR@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Robert B. Rains" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 19:15:15 -0500
Rob Rains for Exec. V.P. at www.voterocker.com

I write tonight in the twilight of my campaign for the Exceutive Vice
Presidency. I am here not because I am seeking power or progression in
Associate Student Government, rather because I see the potential and
promise of a large group of people who, working under my leadership,
speaking with one voice can achieve great things.

My name is Rob Rains and your voice is my voice, your concerns are my
concerns, your convictions, my convictions, your hope my hope, my
candidacy- Your Chance. Thursday all of us  together put the Student
Senate back on a path of effectiveness for you the students of Miami
University.

 Tonight, I hope to win your support.
I am running because, while the Miami Student might not think so, it is
time for a new face within the Student Senate. And if the Miami Student
thinks this is not a position for an outsider, maybe they should go back
and read their own articles and editorials. If they did, they would find
very negative press about the woman currently holding this position… They
were critical of her and the job she has done… And now they say it is time
we keep the same old insiders in the same old spots. I beg to differ. If
they do not think this is the spot for change, maybe they need to go back
and look at one of their own polls, the poll on December 3rd that said 75%
of the students do not feel ASG legislation is working for them. You see
fellow Miamians what the Student wont tell you, what my opponent wont tell
you, what the insiders wont tell you, is that is this is exactly the
position for an outsider to come into and become effective. That is why I
am here tonight… That is why I need you there for me on Thursday.

Let me start by talking about my initiatives. But before I get to more
serious topics, I have to address the Roberts Rule of order written about
in the Student today. I was under quoted today in the paper. What I meant
by changing Roberts Rule of Order was I want to change the way the
Senators understand the rules. I want to do this so all senators can
understand and follow the Rules and Guidelines we have in place. One of
the reasons for an ineffective senate is because the student senators are
caught up in these rules and procedures and as a result, the works of the
Miami students are getting lost in translation.

When the senate convenes for the first week I will orchestrate a Mock
Senate session. The rules, all of the rules, will be explained and run
through. In turn, we will rid ourselves of this daunting task and we can
move on to issues that matter to the students; issues like Parking,
Registration, Sexual Assault Prevention, and prevention of yet another
Tuition increase. These are the real issues that we face as a student
population and as the main legislative body of the students, these are the
issues we need to be addressing.

My plan is simple…I will work- Hands on with Each and every senator to
help them champion causes we care about as students. I will sit and
advise, listen, and lead senators in writing legislation that deals with
the serious issues I have spoken about earlier tonight…

Already I have taken a lead in a program that is required of the Executive
Vice President, Voter Registration. As the President of my fraternity,
Sigma Nu I helped organize and run the most successful voter registration
drive on this campus. We went to every fraternity and sorority and
registered hundreds of people to vote in an election where more students
voted than any other in our nation’s history. I have had hands on
experience with the students and have done so effectively. I could not go
out and register all these people myself, rather I had to count on members
of my fraternity to do the job with me. I had to delegate a lot of work to
these brothers and I did so effectively and with great results. The same
will be asked of me as Exec V.P and I have shown that I am able, willing,
and successful at doing this job.

Here me out tonight and Thursday support Rob Rains for Executive Vice
President.