JOURMAJR Archives

April 2005

JOURMAJR@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sacha Bellman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:07:43 -0400
> From: Patricia Gallagher Newberry <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: April 28, 2005 9:59:18 AM EDT
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Congrats to award winners
>

>> The Journalism Program offers its congratulations to the LONG LIST OF
following students, who were recognized yesterday at the annual
English Department Awards Event:

>> Kaila Gregory, winner of the Emily J. Cordes Memorial Scholarship,
which is designated for an undergraduate student majoring in
>> journalism on the basis of academic merit. Kaila, a junior from
Marion, Ohio, is a lead reporter for the Miami Student and a
>> journalism major with a near-perfect GPA. Kaila is also a finalist  for
the new Memorial Tournament scholarships available to Journalism
students.

>> Josh LeFevre and Laura Richey, winners of the Lawler-Galeese
>> Scholarships, awarded to upperclass students who demonstate interest
and skill in print journalism, with preference for students from the
Middletown area. Josh and Laura are rising junior journalism majors,
Josh from Hamilton and Laura from Middletown.

>> Shannon Hinegardner, recipient of the Timothy J. Rogers scholarship,
given to a student active in a student-run media. Shannon, a junior
from Dayton, just ended her term as features editor at the Miami
Student and took over as news director.

>> Leah Rupp, winner of the Michael Kelly Prize in Journalism, awarded  to
a student with a demonstrated commitment to professionalism and  sound
ethics in journalism.  As editor of the Miami Student, Leah,  who hails
from Louisville, encounters ethical dilemmas in journalism  everyday
and never fails to consider the implications and impact of  her staff’s
work.

> Katie Bunker, a senior from Cincinnati, who finished third in the
Greer/Hepburn Scholarship category for a portfolio of her published
work in journalism.

> Nicole DiNardo,  a senior from Salon, Ohio, winner of a Robert F. Almy
Award in Critical Interpretation.

> In addition, the following Journalism students received honorable
mentions yesterday: Matt Keener, Nicole DiNardo and Steve Markley, all
in the Greer/Hepburn competition; and Todd Seabrook, in Creative
Writing.

> Also, Journalism majors Mary FitzSimons and Kimber McGill were noted
for achieving Departmental Honors in English.

> The Journalism Program also offers its congrats to winners of the  third
annual Awards of Excellence competition, hosted by the Miami  chapter of
the Society of Professional Journalists.

> In the category of Entertainment, Steve Markley won for his review of
Million Dollar Baby in the Miami Student’s Amusement section. In his
piece, Steve applauded the gritty realism of the film, awarding it an  A
for inspired direction and soulful performances.

> In the category of Features, Vanessa Schutz won for a story in the
Youngstown Vindicator titled “Visitors admire outdoor artwork.” The
story about a bear sculpture immediately captures the reader with a
lead that reads: “Several weeks ago, Ron Cadle’s hard-rock maple tree
met the heavy winds of a passing storm and the result is a work of
art.”

> In the category of Enterprise reporting, Vanessa Schutz won for  another
piece in the Youngstown Vindicator. In a story headlined “Pay  tribute
to loved ones with a celebration of life” – one that was  well-written
and displayed good initiative, according to our judges –  Vanessa
reported on a trend toward more personal funerals, including  those that
include the music of Vince Gill or Frank Sinatra.

> In the category of News story, Meg Ryan won for a story in the Miami
Student, titled “Flyers prohibited on academic quad.” The article
reported on Miami’s decision to ban student groups from hanging  sheets,
signs and fliers on campus to promote their causes.

> In Column writing, Zach Parks won for a Miami Student column titled
“Drinking to uphold principles.” The column, which endorsed drinking  on
Green Beer Day as a passive resistant slap at Miami’s
> administration, as “lively” and “hilarious,” one judge said.
>
> In Sports writing, Emile Dawisha was the winner for a story in the
Hamilton Journal News titled “Mr. Robinson’s Neighborhood Includes
Football, Baseball, Beethoven.” According to our Sports judge, Emile  is
“well on his way to being a solid professional sportswriter” with  this
well-sourced, in-depth profile of Miami athlete Ryne Robison.

> Finally, the Best Student Media Portfolio Award of Excellence went to
Jenna Sauber, writing in the Miami Student on topics ranging from  Hair,
the Musical, to Spectrum’s protest in Columbus. Jenna was the  unanimous
choice of our judges, who called her work lively and solid  with good
sourcing and good understanding of the issues.

> Last but not least, the award for Best Internship Portfolio was  awarded
to Emile Dawisha, for a selection of work from the Hamilton  Journal
News. Emile’s entry showcased his coverage of Miami football  and
basketball as fall 2004 intern, where he produced (again,
> accordingly to our Sports judge) “surprisingly mature” features and
analysis about the state of RedHawks sport.

> The chapter offers its thanks to Award of Excellence judges Lisa
Warren, editor of the Hamilton Journal News; Bob Irvin, city editor of
the Middletown Journal; and John Byczkowski, business writer at the
Cincinnati Enquirer for their efforts. I personally would like to  thank
Leah Rupp and our other chapter officers for all their good work  this
year. I encourage interested students to get in touch with me, as
chapter adviser, or Leah, who will stay on as chapter president, to
take a leadership role in the coming year.