JOURMAJR Archives

December 2006

JOURMAJR@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Emile Dawisha <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Emile Dawisha <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2006 01:42:55 +0000
A message from COM dep't:

To all interested Journalism students,

I just wanted to bring your attention to a film screening that might be
of interest to many of you.  From 7:30 to 8:30 or so, in 100 Art, we will
be screening the Peabody-winning documentary, "Harvest of Shame," narrated
by Edward Murrow and considered to be "the gold standard for television
documentary." Although it is only an hour, it is extremely compelling. In
1960, Murrow did an expose on the plight of migrant farm workers, and it
was so harrowing that many American viewers simply refused to believe it
was true. It did, however, result in permanent changes in the laws
protecting workers' rights, and is an excellent example of how the media
can effectively be used to create awareness and promote change. Even if
you don't need the extra credit, I would encourage you to come because it
is only an hour and is such an excellent film.

Hope to see you there!

-Nadia:)

Get free, personalized commercial-free online radio with MSN Radio powered
by Pandora http://radio.msn.com/?icid=T002MSN03A07001