LSHAPE Archives

September 2007

LSHAPE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
filipe cadmus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami Univ LSHAPE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:04:06 +0000
 It's easy to define and describe a nanometer: a nanometer is a billionth of a meter. That's a millionth of a pinhead, a thousandth of a red blood cell diameter, or the length of a line of ten hydrogen atoms rubbing shoulders. If only knowing what nanotechnology really means were as simple: "Have you heard the story of the elephant and the blind man?" Professor Krishna Saraswat chuckles. "Nanotechnology has different meanings to different people, but the conventional definition is the science of material patterned at the 1-100 nm length scale," notes Professor Michael McGehee. Professor Chris Chidsey muses, "Nanotechnology is a concept that is largely designed to capture people's imagination rather than describe a particular type of research. It's largely an attempt to portray a unified vision for a pretty wide-ranging group of activities that might not otherwise get recognized."

 Big international commercial organization is looking for talented, honest, reliable representatives from different regions. The ideal candidate will be an intelligent person, someone who can work autonomously with a high degree of enthusiasm. We are looking for highly motivated professionals, with experience in marketing field. The position is home-based. We offer a part-time position with flexible working hours. And we would be happy to consider a full-time job share candidate.
 Our Company offers a very competitive salary to the successful candidate, along with an unrivalled career progression opportunity. If you think you have what it takes to take on this challenge and would like to apply please send the following information to: [log in to unmask]
 1) Full name
 2) Contact phone numbers
 3) Part time job/Full time
 You do not need to invest any sum of money and we do not ask you to provide us with your bank account requisites! We are engaged in completely legal activity.
 The preference is given to employees with knowledge of foreign languages.
 Thank you and we are looking forward to cooperate in long term base with you.

 If you received this message in error, or would like to unsubscribe, please send a blank email to: [log in to unmask]

 As a term, nanotechnology is clearly ambiguous. Moreover, it has already been claimed by the Drexlerians, apostles of K. Eric Drexler, who was one of the first to popularize nanotechnology with the publication of his 1987 book, Engineers of Creation: The Coming Era of Nanotechnology. According to Professor Steve Block, the Drexlerians have a futurist vision of nanotechnology in which self-replicating molecular assemblers programmed at the molecular-scale manufacture arbitrary products at the atomic level, molecule by molecule, bottom up. Some scientists have attempted to distance themselves from the futurist Drexlerians by claiming the term nanoscience. There's also another motivation for the excision of "technology" in this term. Nanoscience, as a term, captures the learning-the fundamental understanding of processes and materials at the nanoscale-that many scientists feel is necessary before or at the same time that researchers turn to engineering solutions. The term nanot
 echnology, on the other hand, reinforces what Chidsey describes as a "glib attitude" that "technology is the goal of science at this length scale."