MATHED Archives

April 1996

MATHED@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kansky R <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mathematical Education Committee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 1996 16:23:11 -0500
As you are probably aware, there are those mathematicians and mathematics
educators who are opposed to what has been proposed by NCTM.  One group,
Mathematically Correct, has some pretty distinquished members -- including a
former president of the Mathematical Association of America and  Frank Allen,
a past president of NCTM!

I just returned from the NCTM Annual Meeting in San Diego where I saw evidence
of the opposition.  I thought you would be interested in this statement from
Mathematically Correct which I got over the WWW.  Note that MC has its own Web
site.  (Sorry about the lousey formatting.)

Bob
=================

April 20, 1996

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

In 1989 the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) promulgated

a set of Standards for mathematics education in the United States.

Although these standards have been highly controversial since their

introduction, advocate unproven methods of teaching mathematics, and lack

true bench marks of student learning, they have had substantial influence

on mathematics curricula at all levels.  Many concerned parents and

mathematicians view these changes as highly negative.

In conjunction with the national meeting of the NCTM in San Diego,

Mathematically Correct of San Diego, in cooperation with other groups,

today releases an alternative proposal for the improvement of secondary

math education in the United States.  Frank Allen, former President of

NCTM wrote this statement and a number of eminent mathematicians, as well

as concerned citizens, have endorsed it.

For more information about the changes in mathematics education, as well

as links to other sites, please see the 2+2=4 -  - The Mathematically

Correct Homepage at

http://ourworld.compuserve.com:80/homepages/mathman/

Michael McKeown

for Mathematically Correct

____________________________

Mathematically Correct

   A PROGRAM for RAISING the LEVEL of STUDENT

   ACHIEVEMENT in SECONDARY SCHOOL MATHEMATICS

           Submitted by Frank Allen

   All students should be given the opportunity

   to master academic subject matter

   calibrated against world norms.

                  National Alliance for Business

Many of the serious problems we face in secondary

school mathematics today are due to deteriorating social conditions in the

home and community over which our teachers and school administrators have no

control, and for which they should not be faulted. In some school districts,

"students" attend school sporadically, and are often in no condition to

learn when they do attend. Problems arising from this situation should not

be attributed to deficiencies in curriculum, teaching or assessment.  We

believe that much can be done to raise the level of student

achievement in secondary school mathematics without

making radical changes in any of these areas. We present our recommendations

under four headings.

I.    We state our objectives in terms of the mathematics that we expect the

student to learn.

II. We describe a learning situation in which these objectives can be
achieved.

III. We state the essential properties of an effective grading system.

IV. We reestablish the teacher's role as an expositor and the student's role

as a learner.

I. Objectives.

A clear statement of objectives in terms of subject matter requires that

there be provided, for each course, an accurate description of the

mathematics we expect students to learn. These descriptions could take the

form of course syllabi of the kind utilized in most of the other

industrialized countries in the world. The successful completion of each

course should contribute to the student's understanding of the symbolic

language of mathematics, and to his ability to employ this language in the

construction of valid mathematical arguments (proofs) and in the solution of

problems.

This is not the place for a detailed description of course syllabi. We

believe that they should be consistent with our traditional curriculum in

secondary school mathematics, with which we are reasonably content. We

insist that these course syllabi be comparable with those employed in other

countries where students have reached high levels of achievement. To

insure this we specify that these syllabi shall be prepared by committees of

mature, well-established mathematicians appointed on a regional or

preferably national basis, with some input from experienced teachers of

secondary level mathematics.

II. Description of a Learning Situation in Which Our Objectives Can Be
Achieved.

1. Differences in learning rates must be recognized and provided for. In

most secondary schools the student population presents wide variations in

student interest, aptitude and training with respect to mathematics and

there is no point in pretending otherwise. Schools are to be commended for

making curricular provisions for these variations. It is not unusual for our

larger high schools to provide as many as six levels of instruction for

grade nine. These are not established by faculties bent on making invidious

comparisons. It is simply impossible to meet the needs of the entire school

population without them.

2. We reassert the principle that the secondary school mathematics

curriculum must be organized around its own internal structure, and not

around problem solving as the NCTM s "Agenda for Action" requires. There

are, of course, many such structures, but all of them are logically

consistent in the sense that the prerequisites for each new concept are

available when it is introduced. This logical structure is the very

essence of mathematics. The idea that mathematics is a hierarchy of

propositions forged by logic on a postulational base should begin to form

in the student's mind about grade nine and be thoroughly established by

grade twelve.

3. The teaching of mathematics should be regarded as an extension of the

teaching of language, in which facility in two-way translation between

language and mathematical symbolism is emphasized. Efforts to develop an

awareness of the intimate relationship which exists between grammar,

mathematics and logic should begin with games of "How do we know" in the

early grades, continue with the introduction of formal proof not later than

grade nine and culminate in the ability to read and write valid essay proofs

not later than grade twelve.

This linguistic approach to secondary mathematics has several advantages. It

helps the student to develop the gradually formalized natural language so

essential for mathematical discourse, and indeed for the expression of

rational thought in any field.

It tends to build bridges between mathematics and other subjects. It fosters

the idea that reasoning in mathematics has much in common with reasoning

elsewhere. This will help to counteract the idea that there is something

esoteric and arcane about

mathematics. It will help to dispel the notion, already too widely held,

that one must have a mathematical mind in order to deal with the peculiar

thinking required in mathematics. This idea has served to isolate our

subject from the main stream of public consciousness to an extent that we

cannot possibly counteract by our current over-emphasis on real world

applications.

The two-way translation between language and mathematical symbolism is

important for problem solving. First, we express the problem situation in

mathematical language (L to M) thus bringing it under the sway of the

powerful laws that govern mathematical calculations. Second, we apply these

laws to perform these calculations. Here we can use a computer or

calculator, but we should understand the nature of the operations being

performed. Finally, we must interpret our mathematically expressed result in

terms of the original problem (M to L).

4. We must take a balanced view of the role of problem solving in school

mathematics, lest our preoccupation with it causes us to fragment and

distort the very mathematics that makes problem solving possible.

Problems are the life blood of mathematics. But we must not fail to convey

to our students that the body of mathematics is given structure and

coherence by the bones and sinews supplied by definitions, postulates and

proof. Make no mistake, a person's problem solving ability depends on how

much mathematics he understands. Moreover, one of the principal objectives

of problem solving in high school is to inculcate a better understanding of

the basic mathematical theory. It is this understanding that will enable the

student to deal with problems that are today unforeseen and unforseeable. A

student who solves a problem has devised a key that will open a specific

lock. A student who understands the mathematical theory underlying his

solution has a master key that will open many locks. Each problem should be

placed in its proper mathematical context by citing the principles used in

its solution.

5. We must also try to develop a little more confidence in the idea that

mathematics is interesting for its own sake, and that a problem can be

interesting, challenging and instructive without being obviously attached to

some real world application. These ideas open the door to an appreciation of

the recently much neglected cultural and aesthetic values of mathematics.

As Davis and Hersch put it, Blindness to the aesthetic values is widespread

and can account for the feeling that mathematics is dry as dust, as exciting

as a telephone book. Contrariwise, appreciation of this element makes the

subject live in a wonderful manner and burn as no other creation of the

human mind seems to do. Teachers who have this appreciation should try to

transmit it to their students.

6. We must promote the idea that mathematics, properly taught, makes unique

and indispensable contributions to the development of the student's ability

to think and communicate in a logical manner. For many students the value of

this ability, which is by no means confined to the field of mathematics, far

transcends the value of the mathematical facts learned. The eminent

mathematician Jean A. E. Dieudonne has eloquently expressed the concept that

enhancement of the student's ability to think effectively as a major goal of

mathematical study. For what good do we seek? Certainly it is not to

introduce them (students) to collections of more or less ingenious theorems

about the bisectors of the angles of a triangle or the sequence of prime

numbers, but rather to teach them to order and link their thoughts according

to the methods mathematicians use, because we recognize in this exercise a

way to develop a clear mind and excellent judgment. It

is the mathematical method that ought to be the object of our teaching, the

subject matter being only well-chosen illustrations of it.

7. We need to take a more balanced attitude regarding the building of basic

mathematical skills. Jeremy Kilpatrick describes our problem very well in

the July 1988 issue of the NCTM's research journal, One of the most

venerable and vexing issues in mathematics education today concerns the

trade-off between proficiency and comprehension, between promoting the

smooth performance of a mathematical procedure and understanding how and why

the procedure works. He continues Researchers -- should not dismiss too

lightly the question of how and where skill development fits into the school

mathematics curriculum. Recent research in cognitive science suggests that a

strong knowledge base is needed for problem solving, and surely some of this

base should be composed of procedural knowledge. Furthermore, conceptual

knowledge both supports and is supported by what Brownell termed 'meaningful

habituation,' the almost automatic performance of a routine that is based on

understanding.

We want our teachers to feel free to seek this balance on their own,

uninhibited by strictures against A tight focus on manipulative facility

with which the NCTM Standards are replete, or the notion that technology has

supplanted the skills students need.

8. We urge caution in the use of calculators and dynamic geometries.

* Taking time to develop skill in the use of these devices is justified only

to the extent that it improves the students' understanding of mathematics.

(Thousands of people have learned to use these devices without formal

instruction; very few have learned mathematics that way.)

* There is grave danger that calculators, used too early, can seriously

impair the student's ability to perform and understand simple calculations.

The need for this understanding is not obviated by the availability of

calculators and computers.

* The use of dynamic geometries tends to blur the distinction between

illustration and proof. For example the dissection proofs of the Pythagorean

theorem in which the two smaller squares are partitioned in such a way that

their parts can be reassembled to apparently exactly cover the largest

square, and where no previous theorems are invoked, are not proofs at all.

They are only experiments which make the Pythagorean Theorem seem plausible.

* Electronic dynamics make little contribution to the analysis of

construction problems in Plane Geometry and none at all to the proof

necessary to show that the construction is correct.

III. The grading system.

First we consider the internal grading system which has long been used by

teachers to determine course grades and to provide feed-back for improving

instruction.

At mid-century the following principles were widely accepted as valid by

high school teachers. They are still valid today.

1. Standardized tests can be designed that provide valid indicators of the

student's degree of mastery of specified course content. (Consider New York

Regents and the Advanced Placement tests.)

2. The grading system (GS) must be as simple as possible so that it can be

understood by the students.

3. The GS must be as OBJECTIVE as possible. The students course grade should

NOT be influenced by the

teacher's perception of the student's attitude, mathematical disposition or

social status.  Considerations based on gender, race, or linguistic

handicaps must not be allowed to affect the course grade which should

measure mastery of subject matter only. There are other, more appropriate

ways to deal with attitude, diligence, etc.

4. The GS must be economical of teacher time, so that secondary school

mathematics teachers working under

normal teaching conditions (five classes and at least one extra-curricular

assignment) can cope with the heavy demands made upon them.

5. In every unit of instruction there are some basic facts that the student

should be expected to remember and some basic skills to be habitualized. The

GS should require the student to demonstrate that he knows these facts and has

     mastered these skills. Other than that, the GS in mathematics should

make minimal demands on the student's memory.

6. The GS must include measures of Symbol/Language translation and writing

skills.

7. The GS must have a strong diagnostic component.

Now we turn to the external grading system.

Every student must have the opportunity to take the externally set and

externally graded examinations covering the standard syllabus that has been

adopted for each course on a regional/national basis. There will, of course,

be variations in the amount of time that students need to prepare for these

examinations. For example, some students may need two years of

study to prepare for the regionally administered examination in first year

algebra (roughly algebra through quadratics).

These externally set examinations provide a basis for comparing the

student's performance with regional, national or, perhaps even world norms.

They invoke what John Bishop calls The Power of External Standards. In his

article by that title in the Fall 1995 issue of American Educator, the AFT

magazine, Bishop says: Such standards are established when the student's

mastery of a common curriculum taught in high school is assessed by

examinations that are set and graded on the national or regional level. He

continues: The standards reflected in these exams are visible and public

as well as demanding. In France and the Netherlands, for example, questions

and answers are published in the

newspapers and available in video texts. And the grades a student gets are

extremely important because they signal the student's achievement to

colleges and employers. They influence the jobs that graduates get and the

universities and programs to which they are admitted. How well graduating

seniors do on these exams also affects the reputation of a school and, in

some cases, the number of students applying for admission to the school.

This describes the situation where high school seniors take batteries of

examinations covering the basic courses, for which they have prepared over a

four or five year period.

We would begin the establishment of externally set and graded examinations

on a course-by-course basis. There would be one such examination covering

the prescribed syllabus in algebra, another for geometry, etc. Exam results

would be publicized on a regional/national basis. Such exams do much more

than compare classmates with each other. They set performance levels for

each course, measure the extent to which each student has mastered the

prescribed syllabus and compare his performance with regional norms. These

examinations will be prepared by committees of mature, well-established

mathematicians appointed on a regional/national basis.

IV. We Reestablish the Teacher's Role as an Expositor and the Student's Role

as a Learner.

The dictionary defines a teacher as ... a director, one who imparts

knowledge, an instructor. The teacher in secondary school has always been

regarded as one who explains. We believe that the teacher of secondary level

mathematics should be confirmed in his centuries-old role as an expositor

and director of learning.

There are, of course, many ways to direct learning and each teacher should

use those that work best for him. Cooperative learning can be used

occasionally as it has been in the past. But teachers should not be under

pressure to use it because, used excessively, it tends to relegate the

teacher to the role of facilitator. To facilitate means to make easy. This

sends the wrong message. For most people, the learning of mathematics is not

easy. It requires hard work, sustained effort,

intense concentration and diligent attention to homework. The student needs

the kind of experience that the individual study of mathematics provides in

order to learn how to learn. Without it, he may graduate, steeped in self

esteem, but totally unprepared to meet the ever-changing demands of an

intensely competitive world, where there are no facilitators to make

things easy.

We want our teachers of secondary mathematics to have at least an

undergraduate major in mathematics. They should be encouraged to continue

their study of mathematics at the graduate level and in graduate math

education courses that emphasize mathematical content, if such can be found.

We would give them the wide discretion that well-trained professionals

deserve. We would set performance goals for students and would rely on the

ingenuity of our mathematically competent classroom teacher to find many

ways to achieve them.

As Bishop observes, with the establishment of external standards, the

teacher's situation improves dramatically. The teacher with high standards

is no longer regarded as a taskmaster whose demands are to be evaded, but

rather as ... a coach or mentor whose advice and expertise help students to

achieve a goal they care about. Moreover, they are released from the

pressure now exerted by students, administrators and parents to grade on the

curve, lower standards and inflate grades. This pressure is fast becoming

intolerable and it is destroying education in America.

The learning situation for students is also vastly improved. No longer rated

against each other, they would be striving to reach a standard that has been

externally set. Diligent students would no longer be resented and derided as

"nerds" who are lifting the curve and thus making it more difficult for

their classmates. As Bishop notes: ... students will work very hard and

achieve at a high level if you make clear what you want them to learn and if

there are serious consequences attached to their achievement.

We believe that it is time for the gradual introduction of external

standards in secondary school mathematics, on a voluntary course-by-course

basis. We believe that the public will support this. We cite the first

recommendation in the report, The Challenge of Change: Standards to Make

Education Work for All Children, recently produced by the National Alliance

for Business. All students should be given the opportunity to master

academic subject matter calibrated against world-class norms.

It is the duty of teachers and parents to call upon the best advice

obtainable (in this case, from mathematicians) to set standards of student

performance and then demand that students meet these standards. When

standards are held firm and the student is required to adjust to them, we

have a process that can be accurately described as education. In recent years

we have seen a distressing reversal of this process. Students don't listen

very well? Adjust by downgrading oral exposition by the teacher, and,

perhaps resort to cooperative learning. Students don't like the curriculum?

Change the curriculum, perhaps by emphasis on practical applications in an

effort to recapture student interest. Students don't do well on

standardized tests? Try to discredit these tests by proclaiming that they

are not and cannot be valid measures of student achievement. This

stultifying process where changes take place in the system rather than in

the student is education turned on its head. It is destroying education in

America, and it must be stopped.

We have described a way to stop it, and to put math education in America on

a par with that in other industrialized countries. We realize that the

establishment of external standards will encounter powerful opposition. But

it is long overdue.

With the support of concerned parents throughout the nation, we believe that

it can be achieved.

Submitted by

Professor Frank B. Allen

Advising Member, Mathematically Correct

Former President, National Council of Teachers of Mathematics

Former Chair, Division of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, Elmhurst College

April 1996

The following individuals have indicated their support of this position

statement.

Henry L. Alder

Department of Mathematics

University of California, Davis

Former President of the Mathematical Association of America

Former Member of the State Department of Education

Former Chair of the University of California Board of Admissions and

Relations with Schools

George E. Andrews

Evan Pugh Professor of Mathematics

Department of Mathematics

Penn State University

Terry Antl

Instructor, General Math Studies Department

San Diego State University

Richard Askey

Dept. of Mathematics

Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison

Alicia Booth

Rebecca Bryson-Kissinger

Parent

Associate Dean of Science

San Diego State University

Gunnar Carlsson

Professor and Chair

Department of Mathematics

Stanford University

Lisa Churchill-Roth

Parent, San Diego

Member, Mathematically Correct

Jamie Clopton

Parent, San Diego

Member, Mathematically Correct

Dept. of Behavioral Science, Palomar College

Paul Clopton

Parent, San Diego

Member, Mathematically Correct

Research Department, VA Medical Center, San Diego

Pam Davis

Computer Resource Specialist

University of California, Davis

Bill Evers

Parent, Palo Alto, Calif.

Research Fellow, Hoover Institution, Stanford University

Steering Committee, Honest Open Logical Debate (HOLD) on math reform

Peter M. Fischer

Parent

Member Brea Open Logical Debate (BOLD)

Software Engineer, Hughes Aircraft

Carol Gambill

Mathematics Teacher

Leonard Gillman

Professor Emeritus of Mathematics, University of Texas at Austin

Former President, Mathematical Association of America

Larry Gipson

Engineer

Member, Parents for Math Choice

Detlef Gromoll

Department of Mathematics

State University of New York

Bonnie Grossen

Researcher

College of Education

University of Oregon

Jeffrey Haydu

Parent, San Diego

University of California, San Diego

Douglas L. Inman

Research Professor of Oceanography

Scripps Institution of Oceanography

University of California, San Diego

Fred Jaeger

Parent, San Diego

Member, Mathematically Correct

Heide Jaeger

Parent, San Diego

Member, Mathematically Correct

John Kissinger

Parent

Mechanical Engineer

General Atomics

William J. Kurdziel

Math Educator

Joseph Lipsick, M.D., Ph.D.

Concerned Parent and H.O.L.D. Member

Associate Professor of Pathology

Stanford University

Patricia M. Masters

Parent, Member of Mathematically Correct

La Jolla, California

Mike McKeown

Molecular Biology and Virology Laboratory, The Salk Institute

Member, Mathematically Correct, San Diego

Robert McPherson, Jr.

Hemet USD Board President

Retired Probation Officer

Motohico Mulase

Professor and Vice Chair

Department of Mathematics

University of California, Davis

R.A. Raimi

Professor Emeritus of Mathematics

The University of Rochester

Chuck Rathbone

Hemet USD Trustee

Director of Finance, Eastern Muncipal Water District

Debra Rathbone

Parent

F. A. Jack Roach

Patricia Rorabaugh

Jerry Rosen

Professor of Mathematics

California State University, Northridge

Marina Rumiansev

Founding Member, Parents Advocating for Children's Education

Dennis L. Stanton

Mathematics Dept. Chairman

Soquel High School

Andre Toom

Department of Mathematics

University of the Incarnate Word

Hung-Hsi Wu

Professor of Mathematics

University of California, Berkeley

Ze'ev Wurman

Parent, Palo Alto, Calif.

Director of Software, Dyna Logic Corporation

Steering Committee, Honest Open Logical Debate (HOLD) on math reform

--

The opinions expressed are my own and not those of the Salk Institute or its
lawyers.