MATHED Archives

April 1996

MATHED@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kansky R <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mathematical Education Committee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 15:40:01 -0500
Earlier in the year, the Mathematics Education Committee sent a letter to
several members of the Ohio Legislature and the Ohio Board of Education in
opposition to creating a licensure for teacklhers of children from birth
through grade eight.  The following information regarding the result of that
activity by the Mathematics Education Committee (and several other groups) was
forwarded to me.  It appear that we have been heard and that the decision is
going our way, but we need to watch carefully as the licensure conditions are
written.

Bob

At the last Ohio Board of Education meeting, the birth-through-age-eight was
changed to be B-5 and 3-8 separate licenses rather than B-8. Apparently the
faxes to Mike Fox made him assert that the legislature would not approve the
B-8 because the higher ed content people were against it! Now the legislature
is determined to review everything in the standards, and it may be a while
before anything is accomplished.