MATHED Archives

January 1997

MATHED@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Mathematical Education Committee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 14:14:43 EST
Information for the committee:

1. Because of scheduling conflicts, we will NOT meet on Wednesday, Jan 29. So,
out next meeting will be on Wednesday, Feb 5 at 4pm, usual spot.

2. Last Wednesday we those of us assembled discussed some options for the
licensure issue.  You should have - or will shortly - receive  a memo from Joe
outling the discussion and the proposals that are currently on the table.  At
the Feb 5 meeting, we will start with his proposal for discussion.

3. For those teaching MTH 115 or 116 currently.  Remember that we had discussed
the problem we were having with too many students missing our classes last
Fall for field experience.  This week this instructor of the EDT course called
me (and her name escapes me right now; it's late Friday p.m.) to discuss the
issue further.  I had thought our agreement was that it would be put in the
course syllabus that students hsould not miss a math class for field experience
.   That is not the case; however, the instructor will inform students that
they are not to miss a math class.  The dates when  they will be in the field
are one whole day the week of March 17-21 and a morning during the week of
April 7-11.  Watch for these dates and if you continue to have problems, report
that fact at a math ed meeting.  We'll go from there.

Have a good weekend.  Jerry