MGTDEV-L Archives

January 1996

MGTDEV-L@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Demille Richardson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
University Management Development discussions <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 1996 15:10:44 -0800
Happy 1996!! I hope everone had as much fun celebrating as I did.
However, it did not take long for a dose of reality to hit me this
morning.  I was assigned a very interesting project and thought I would
attempt to get some help form my colleagues out here.

I am currently working on a project to examines ways of improving our
performance appraisal documents.  One on the suggestions is to use a
form which does not evaluate employees based on a number.  The one we
use currently allows managers to rate employees on the following scale:
1=outstanding, 2=commendable, 3=fully satisfactory, 4=needs
improvement, and 5=unacceptable.

Does anyone currently evaluate performance non-numerically?  What are
your suggestions? Any other leads or information would be appreciated.

I will of course summarize and post soon.  You can respond directly to
me.

Thanks,