MGTDEV-L Archives

October 1995

MGTDEV-L@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Bric Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
University Management Development discussions <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 1995 15:22:30 EST
Last week's (October 23) Business Week article, "Virtual B-Schools"
provided some basic information about executive education and
long-distance learning.

I'd be interested in hearing from other members of this listserv
about their involvement (provider, sponsor, observer,
participant/student, faculty, etc.) in this arena.

Some individual schools are providing programming (satellite &/or
internet), some schools have formed consortia, some companies are
collaborating, some program providers (is Westcott Communications a
high-tech Penton?) are hiring well-known faculty for broadcast
programs, with modest fees to "home" universities.

What programming shows promise?  I pose this primarily as an
effectiveness question.  I view the technology as a tool.  If it's a
good tool for providing (or helping to provide) effective
programming,  I assume the financials will, at some level, take care
of themselves (up to a point).

Any anecdotal stories or data?  Expectations?

Based upon our experiences, I think we can make some calculated
guesses as to what programs are more or less likely to be effective
in long-distance learning situations, but I'd like to hear what's
actually happening.

I look forward to your feedback.

Bric A. Wheeler, Director
Center for Management Development
Richard T. Farmer School of Business Administration
Miami University, Oxford, Ohio  45056-1675
     Voice:  (513) 529-2132;  Fax:  (513) 529-6992
  Internet:  [log in to unmask]
       WWW:  http://www.MUOhio.Edu/~WheeleBA/