MGTDEV-L Archives

October 1996

MGTDEV-L@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Management & Executive Development Discussions <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 1996 08:31:57 -500
 My background - Who I am and What I do

My name is David Thrope.  I am currently living in Acton, MA,
which is about 20 miles West of Boston. I have lived in New England
most of my life except for a short stint at cab driving in New York
City. When I was involved in the packaging industry, I spent many days
in Texarkana, TX, Union City, CA and lived out of a suitcase.

    I was born in Lowell, MA, the home of Jack Kerouac. I later
moved to New York City, Nashua, New Hampshire and Boston. I spent
several years in the packaging industry involved in all aspects of
that business. About 5 years ago, the golden parachute let go and I
pursued consulting and teaching opportunities.

    I have also been involved in adult education. I teach three
types of course: management, marketing and computer related. These may
be undergraduate or graduate level (MBA) courses. These include:

        Business Ethics
        Marketing Management
        Strategy: Formulation and Implementation
        Business Data Processing
        Computerized Accounting

The most unusual place I ever taught was in a prison. I also find that diverse
experience makes it easier to facilitate a course.

   My consulting is mostly to small businesses. As a management
generalist, I provide a global picture for small businesses to
pursue. It seems likely that my skills could be employed by Fortune
500 companies that require the training necessary to be opportunity
focused and agile like smaller operations. I set up information
systems and train management in  the art of being self reliant. I
give them a "Marketing & Management 101" course so they truly
understand the models and can use them in a hands-on fashion.

    For those who have a browser (Netscape 2.0 or better)
and Internet access, you may wish to visit my home page:

                  http://www1.usa1.com/~knish/dthp5.html

I have a B.A. in Philosophy, a Certificate in Accounting (to
balance out the Philosophy), an MBA (marketing/entrepreneurship)
and several credits toward an EdD in Human Resources Education
(training and development).

   I apply my formal education and work experience (all 3 decades
worth) to all my pursuits to give my clients and students the value
they deserve.
David Thrope
7 Brucewood Road
Acton, MA 01720
Phone/Fax (508)264-0107
Visit our web site (best viewed using Netscape 2.0 or greater)
http://www1.usa1.com/~knish/dthp5.html