MGTDEV-L Archives

August 1995

MGTDEV-L@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
William Weech <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
University Management Development discussions <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 1995 11:34:08 -0400
Colleagues -

I have been tasked with redesigning a two week course in management for entry
level employees.  I am very interested in sharing with others who manage
similar training.  Some relevant info about my situation:

* My trainees are employees of the U.S. Department of State.  Therefore, I am
interested in ideas/materials/designs that apply to the public sector.

* My trainees are preparing to work overseas.  The 20 students in the class do
NOT form an intact work group; typically they are going to 20 different
locations.  In most cases they have not yet met their supervisors or the
international staff they are about to supervise.

* Trainees have already had new employee orientation and 0 - 3 years of work
experience in the organization.  The two week management course is part of a
12 week functional training program that has rolling enrollment.

* People above me in the organization say that my trainees need to learn more
about customer service, managing diversity and reengineering.  Former course
graduates say that they wish they had learned more about downsizing, managing
scarce resources (doing more with less), planning and budgeting.  The current
design includes modules on supervision, ethics, personnel regulations, and
internal controls, among others.

I am eager to learn from others who have had success providing basic
management training to public sector employees.

NOTE TO COMMERCIAL VENDORS: Many of you who read this list have services and
products to sell that would no doubt be of great use to us in our training.
I welcome your sales pitches -- BUT -- please be forewarned that I have no
budget for materials or services at this time.

Feel free to contact me directly using the info below.

Bill Weech
M/FSI/SPS/AT, NFATC Room F4128
4000 Arlington Boulevard
Arlington, VA 22204-1500